VMware Communities
PaulAretz
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 16 on Windows 10 networking question

Hi all,

I have a question about the workings of VM Workstation on a Windows 10 laptop from a networking perspective. I am a teacher in Applied Sciences and I am trying to educate my students in the basics of networking. Apparently the virtualization layer complicates some things. I hope you can help me to shed some light on what I am sharing here.

On my laptop with Windows 10 OS I am running a Ubuntu VM and a Windows 10 VM. Both hidden behind the NAT adapter, in my case with IP range 192.168.132.0. From both VM's I am able to ping the gateway IP (192.168.132.2) but I am unable to ping the VM's from my laptop.

From Ubuntu VM to laptop

pastedImage_2.png

From laptop to Ubuntu VM

pastedImage_3.png

The routing table of my laptop shows me this, the 145.93 IP range being the IP that my Wifi adapter gets from the University I work at:

pastedImage_0.jpg

When I ping the Ubuntu VM (192.168.132.130) from my laptop I would expect the traffic to be sent to the virtual adapter, as shown in the table above. But instead the ping is sent to the default gateway of my Wifi adapter:

pastedImage_1.jpg

And so the traffic is lost. Now I was assuming that Windows 10 with Workstation would route this network traffic as a normal routing table would imply but apparently that assumption is wrong. Or am I missing something else here? How does this work? And while we are at the subject, why does the virtual adapter in my Windows 10 OS have 192.168.132.1  as IP while the default gateway in the Ubuntu VM is set to the .2 address?

Firewalls are all off by the way!

I have been looking online for some info on the inner workings of Workstation networking but the only thing I can find is the basic info about the different types of network adapters

Thanks in advance for the help in this.

0 Kudos
0 Replies