VMware Communities
Konig_Julian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation 16 and 17 slow, especially data transfer with external usb drives

I bought a new MS Surface Laptop Studio 2 and installed VMWare and copied my existing Guest.
Problem is that Guest is very slow overall and especially when transferring data with USB external drives.

Details:
-> Host Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio 2 (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CF1ZYMFT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)
-> Guest: Opensuse Linux Leap 15.5 x86, 64 Bit (existing copied and also reinstalled as a test)
also tested with Debian latest version
-> Same configuration works on my desktop, but only very slowly on my new Surface Studio
-> Data rates: Windows direct <> USB external drive -> ok ~ over 100 MB/s
VMWare Opensuse / Debian <> USB external drive (ntfs e.g.) 5-9 MB/s Write
-> VMWare Workstation 16 and 17 same problem, both reinstalled
-> Bitlocker deactivated, same problem
-> Attached the log file

Would be great if anyone has an idea.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DCasota
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For reasons it is detected as usb2.0 in VMware Workstation. Can you check on Linux e.g. lshw output? For usb3.0 should see something like configuration: driver=hub slots=8 speed=5000Mbit/s and not speed=480Mbit/s.

As exclusion possibility, try to make use of the 3.0 usb drive with another, powered usb 3.x port. 

edited: Also usb 3.1 is detected flawlessly, see

DCasota_0-1708366508992.png

In addition, you've mentioned that the laptop is slow. By default, the Workstation installation doesn't ask about power configuration. Try this and reboot the laptop.

powercfg /powerthrottling disable /path "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The vmware.log contains entries name:VIA\ USB\ 2.0\ BILLBOARD vid:2109 pid:0103. Is that an usb 2.0 hub?

0 Kudos
Konig_Julian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

its USB3.0 - direct with Windows 11 copy datas to the same external USB Drive have normal speed, around 120 MB/s

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For reasons it is detected as usb2.0 in VMware Workstation. Can you check on Linux e.g. lshw output? For usb3.0 should see something like configuration: driver=hub slots=8 speed=5000Mbit/s and not speed=480Mbit/s.

As exclusion possibility, try to make use of the 3.0 usb drive with another, powered usb 3.x port. 

edited: Also usb 3.1 is detected flawlessly, see

DCasota_0-1708366508992.png

In addition, you've mentioned that the laptop is slow. By default, the Workstation installation doesn't ask about power configuration. Try this and reboot the laptop.

powercfg /powerthrottling disable /path "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe"

0 Kudos
Konig_Julian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

powercfg solved the problem, thank you very much for your support 
0 Kudos