VMware Communities
BadAssBender
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation 16.20.1 on Windows 11 and Alder Lake issues.

Hi 

I have being using VMware Workstation for a while now (years). I currently have a new system base on Intel Alder Lake CPU with Windows 11.

I can  only run the VM when CPU set to one, if I tried two or more cores the VM cannot start. I have another system with Windows 11 and AMD Ryzen that system runs good most of the times. I am wonder what it is making my system to avoid start running the VMs on intel 12 gen. I attached the picture of the error. 

Screenshot 2021-11-15 221713.png 

I have hypervisor off already and not installed any of the features. 

I also enabled VT-D on the bios, but even when I have the option enable VMware Workstation 16.20.1 does not recognize it, it pop ups a weird message saying the next. 

Screenshot 2021-11-15 222120.png

Any help will be appreciated it. 

My hypervisor settings are off. 

Screenshot 2021-11-15 222246.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The "virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported" message shows up because the

(1) The VM has "Virtualized Intel/EPT" option checked in the CPU settings of the VM

and

(2) Workstation Pro detects Hyper-V and using the ULM as the hypervisor instead of Intel VT-x.

You can verify in the vmware.log of any VM that Workstation still detects Hyper-V.

In(05) vmx IOPL_Init: Hyper-V detected by CPUID
In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

Did you do the “bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off” step as specified in this KB?
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Is Memory Integrity turned on? Memory Integrity should be OFF. (Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation).

Without Hyper-V running on the host, the Monitor Mode should show CPL0 instead of ULM.

You don't need any of the options checked in the VM CPU settings unless you have specific requirements for the VM (such as running VMs inside the VM, or getting performance counters from the VM).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The "virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported" message shows up because the

(1) The VM has "Virtualized Intel/EPT" option checked in the CPU settings of the VM

and

(2) Workstation Pro detects Hyper-V and using the ULM as the hypervisor instead of Intel VT-x.

You can verify in the vmware.log of any VM that Workstation still detects Hyper-V.

In(05) vmx IOPL_Init: Hyper-V detected by CPUID
In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

Did you do the “bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off” step as specified in this KB?
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Is Memory Integrity turned on? Memory Integrity should be OFF. (Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation).

Without Hyper-V running on the host, the Monitor Mode should show CPL0 instead of ULM.

You don't need any of the options checked in the VM CPU settings unless you have specific requirements for the VM (such as running VMs inside the VM, or getting performance counters from the VM).

BadAssBender
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, after disable memory integrity the vm's were able to boot properly. 

0 Kudos