VMware Communities
gurutech1
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 16.2.0 vmmon and vmnet will not compile on Centos 8

So I had this issue with 16.1 and 16.1.2, where the vmmon and vmnet modules will not compile.

Found a fix for 16.1.2, which worked great, however I upgraded to 16.2.0 without reading what the prompt said, and I kinda screwed myself.

The 16.1.2 fix did not work for me on 16.2.0.  I found a github source for 15.1, but that didn't work either.  It compiled the vmmon and vmnet, but when I run VMWare, it errors out stating they are the wrong version.

Does anyone know where I can download the correct files for 16.2.0?  Or have another fix?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gurutech1
Contributor
Contributor

OK, found a potential solution, however I am now getting a version mismatch on the vmmon module.  Expecting version 410.0, got 401.0.

It recommends reinstalling VMWare Workstation.  I will try this and see how it goes.

For what it's worth (and in case I need to refer to it again!) here's what I did:

From a sudo command prompt, run

git clone -b workstation-16.2.0 https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules.git
cd vmware-host-modules/
tar -cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only
tar -cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
cp -v vmmon-tar vmnet.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Then restarted my computer.

0 Kudos
gurutech1
Contributor
Contributor

And nope....  full uninstall/reinstall gives me the standard "you need to compile the vmmon and vmnet modules before VMWare will even open" error.   Back to square one....  😒

0 Kudos