VMware Communities
meHJR
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 15.5.0 build-14665864 doesn't recognize CentOS 8.0.1905

Hello together,

I'm using VMWare Workstation 15.5.0 build-14665864 . When installing a  VM from ISO  VMWare  doesn't recognize  CentOS 8.0.1905 , and states something like  "found CentOS 5 or earlier  x64 ".

"Easy install" won't work and  "Install from ISO " won't work either.

Is it somehow related to the tar-problem mentioned here:

Manually Installing VMware Tools on a Linux Virtual Machine    ?

Has anybody found a soluntion for the OS recognition issue mentioned above?

Any help that helps me solve the problem is welcome.

Thank you,

Hans.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IDMORACLE
Contributor
Contributor

Hans,

I had the same issue and the only way I could get around it for now, till VMWare updates to honor the changes made to CentOS 8 was to do the following. Build a VM and when you get to the point to pick a Disk, ISO, or specify I will install the OS Later, choose the last option. Then you set the OS to be used as CentOS 7 64-bit. Go through and set everything else up. Then edit the VM settings and mount the CentOS 8 ISO and boot the VM. It will go through installation and you have to do more interactively, instead of using the auto-install wizard but it works just fine and everything installs correctly and the VM comes up without a problem.

Hope this help!

Anthony

QueenM
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for putting up this question and solution.

It worked for me.

Before hitting this forum, I tried the "Other" option on "Select a Guest Operating System" by choosing again "other" in the drop-down menu for the Version of software.  I succeeded in installing CentOS 8.  One mistake I made in my first installation that made me search further has been not to choose the installation of network specification.  I am a first time installer/ user of CentOS and I didn't know the default does not come with choosing the Network automatically.  So I discarded the first install of CentOS 8.  Just saying, there is an alternative.  Either way, installation recognizes the newer version in the end.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos