VMware Communities
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Workstation 14 player - locks up on my Windows Xp machine

Latest version installed, vmtools current.  Windows 10 professional, 32GB ram, SSDS.

With this update, I'm getting consistent VM lockups (I have to kill off VMWare with the task manager).  What seems to be triggering it is when I pop in and out of my VPN connections on the host OS.

Anyone else experiencing this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay, a little more info on the freeze:

- can't minimize or move the window in any way (VMWare window).

- I can right mouse click on the vmware icon and select close.  Player then asks how I want to close the VM.  Nothing is responsive.

This is crazy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could you confirm Vmware tool version which you install on windows XP machine ....

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Should be the latest but according to the Support Info page:

Xp: 10.0.12.4448491

Ubuntu: 10.1.10.63510

Windows 7: 10.2.0.7259539

Windows 10: 10.1.6.5214329

yes, I have a number of VMs not sure if there would ever be any cross issues (doubtful).

0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bugger.  It's not related to anything VPN.  Locked up hard last night while I was working in another window.

Hmmm, is there any sort of logging I can turn on to catch this issue?

I've localized what appears to trigger this - took a bit of thinking - too many variables, not enough equations.

I only see this lock up at my home office where I run in a dual monitor (laptop 1920x1080) external is 2560x1440.  If I move the VM to the external monitor, enter full screen mode it displays correctly, but then its gone - brain dead.  The VM Player process goes to 20% cpu and becomes unresponsive.

fwiw, this behavior seems to be consistent for the last two 14.x builds.

0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, just fired up my VPN and instantly locked the VM running Xp.  F***, f***, f***.

14.x has issues.

0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Over on reddit, people are having similar issues as mine.  I think my issue is related to Microsoft breaking things.  Just got another update from Redmond, all my virtual machine is working again.  Go figure.

0 Kudos