VMware Communities
KunalG
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 12 pro headless mode testing for 3D Native clients.

Hello All,

I am doing the testing of 3D native apps and customer demands to execute test in headless mode/run in background.

I have evaluated many other products from that VMware workstation has option to run in headless mode but main problem is that to run the 3D native apps needs NVIDIA graphics card. Which is not getting pass through from the host machine to guest machine due to which 3D native app is working improperly. So basically I want to know how to pass through GPU/NVIDIA graphics card from Host machine to Guest machine in VMWare workstation?

Hoping for quick reply with better solution.

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal Gajbhiye

QA Consultant

Dassault Systemes Global Services, Pvt. Ltd.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

So basically I want to know how to pass through GPU/NVIDIA graphics card from Host machine to Guest machine in VMWare workstation?

You cannot.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

To add to that... if you are able to run VMware vSphere then you _can_ passthrough graphical adapters.

But beware that VMware vSphere is a completely different product. It runs directly on the metal, not on a host OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same here ... Open CL - GPU Passthrough in VMware workstation 15?

Though using vSphere might be intriguing to use, I boggle from using it as my host OS wouldn't run on native hardware anymore and I'd be dependent on vSphere providing same performance and features my hardware does (which I doubt it will).

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos