VMware Communities
kamiller42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Workstation 10 keeps changing VM's owner and group to "root" upon exit

I have one VM where Workstation keeps changing the owner and group of *.vmem and *.vmss files to root. None of my other VMs exhibit this behavior. It does not seem to affect the running of the VM. It's major annoyance is that VM does not remember the VM the next time I enter and the preview screen, which normally appears for a suspended machine, does not appear.

Why is Workstation resetting permissions on these files? I don't mind it taking root, but put the original user and group back when done.

FYI, the drive is formatted ext4 and I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kamiller42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FYI, it did this with VM 9 too. Must be something with the config of the VM I'm guessing.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

check for devices like physical serial ports or parallel ports - if the VM uses one of those set

serial0.present = "false"

serial1.present = "false"

parallel0.present = "false"

and check if it still happens

0 Kudos
kamiller42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I went to compare hardware between a working VM and this one and noticed another difference. On the Options tabs, the rooting VM has only 5 setting categories: General, Power, Snapshots, VMware Tools, and Advanced. A "regular" VM has far more.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

To compare the settings of a VM you use a texteditor and compare the vmx-files line by line.

The display in the GUI may already be part opf the problem ...

0 Kudos
kamiller42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I discovered the problem. It appears the VM was shared once. I just had to turn sharing off under the Manage menu.

0 Kudos