VMware Communities
sonofabit
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 10 crashes on Windows 10 host

I can run for hours a VM (windows 7 or 8.1) guest OS on Windows 10 technical preview, but as soon as I go to shut down or suspend the VM, it freezes and then crashes the host OS with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION exception. Has anyone seen this before?

Tags (1)
40 Replies
PeteX500
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to have to go back to Win 8.1 also.

I upgraded to the newly released VMWare Workstation 11 this morning but still have the same issue.

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I instead tried to do a system refresh from W10 TP build 9879 to previous one and it seems that the entire process doesn't work, so I reinstall the first W10 TP build, 9841: in that build I have no problem with Workstation 11.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

until now there is no workaround. It seems that Microsoft published another patch but it is not for this problem. I haven't tried to install it but I read that it is intented to resolve an Explorer problem.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Other than the early memory fix which was required to get vmware to work all the issues I have encountered can be heaped against the door of Microsoft.

Windows 10 is currently just an inherently buggy alpha release and needs a number of fixes to make it work IF you are testing it on a clone of a populated working Windows 8 etc. Some of these bugs can be addressed by work-arounds which people like Marco addressed in the VMWare Technical Preview beta threads. e.g. Latest Windows Technical Preview (build 9680) breaks networking. Others have been addressed by beta testers in the Microsoft Tech Forum. Few seem to have been resolved by Microsoft themselves.

In general to get Windows 10 working in such cases requires a step back to 'clean install'. For me, getting 9879 to install required turning off all of .Net in the Windows options (ControPanel->Programs->Turn Windows features on/off). Once installed .Net can be re-enabled and then updates. Programs requiring .Net all work.

I note that my memory glitch Tech Preview alterations to the Workstation config.ini remain even after purchasing Workstation 11. Just a thought - maybe the Networking issues require similar modifications to vmnet*.conf if you are experiencing issues. 

0 Kudos
piccolonicky
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player has the same issue.

0 Kudos
Sorensiim
Contributor
Contributor

Running WMWare Workstation 11 on a W10TP host and everything is fine - until I try to shutdown or reboot a VM, then the host OS freezes completely. Oddly enough, reboots initiated by the VM's OS, like after joining Windows 7 to a domain and it asks to reboot, don't do this and just reboot normally. I was hoping the promised W10 support in Workstation 11 would have fixed this but I guess they meant support for W10 as a guest OS Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Fabian030
Contributor
Contributor

Nach einem Update auf das hier diskutierte W10 Build hatte ich die gleichen Probleme.

Eine Lösung für das Netzwerk-Problem habe ich inzwischen gefunden, aber die Abstürze beim Shutdown oder pausieren der VM bleiben bestehen.

Um die Netzwerk-Adapter in den VMs wieder funktionstüchtig zu bekommen, muss ganz einfach die zur neuen Build installierte .NET Umgebung deinstalliert werden. Die ältere Version aus der vorherigen Build bleibt installiert und es läuft.

0 Kudos
eXadrian
Contributor
Contributor

The same here. On Windows 10 TP 9879 VMWare crashes/freezes the whole system when I either shutdown a virtual machine or create a new one and install the OS.

0 Kudos
gonzalon888
Contributor
Contributor

Still happening at 9901 build. I'm rolling back to windows 8.1... have no choice.

0 Kudos
piccolonicky
Contributor
Contributor

I found a workaround.

I noticed that when I shutdown the host pc, the VMWare machine shuts down without freezing the host.

So I tried to send a "host is shutting down" message to the VM. Apparently it worked.

Download the http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/5/d2522ce4-a441-459d-8302-be8f3321823c/LogoToolsv1.0.msi logo tools and install.

Run the command: RMTool.exe -p [PID] -S -F

where [PID] is the pid of vmware-vmx.exe

it worked for me.

0 Kudos
Wictor
Contributor
Contributor

JUST AWESOME!

Works like a charm.

I wrote together a short blog post to spread the word.

http://www.wictorwilen.se/solved-shutting-down-vmware-workstation-virtual-machines-on-windows-10-tec...

THANK YOU - my christmas is saved Smiley Happy

gonzalon888
Contributor
Contributor

What build you got? In 9901, i got Host freeze just like normal shutdown of the virtual machine 😕

0 Kudos
Wictor
Contributor
Contributor

9879, latest official 🙂

0 Kudos
moreD
Contributor
Contributor

I tried but still no luck. RMTool stuck for about 1 minute then vmware-vmx was killed, just same as killing it in task manager Smiley Sad

If I run the command without -F, it fails to end the process

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

still no luck too. I tried the script of Wictor but have no result (I tried it even starting powershell command line with 'Run as administrator').

script_stop_vmware.png

Any idea?

--

Regards,

Marco

0 Kudos
keithlammersBFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just updated to the latest Windows 10 Preview (Build 9926), and this issue seems to be resolved!

0 Kudos
piccolonicky
Contributor
Contributor

I confirm. I just suspended the VMWare player without any side effect. Thanks Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Fabian030
Contributor
Contributor

Build 9926 (consumer preview) seems to fix it.

No problems here anymore.

0 Kudos
Neau
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to be an ongoing issue as I am having this problem with Workstation 12 Pro on the official release of Windows 10. Why are we so quick to blame this issue on the release of Windows 10? At times my Windows 10 host does not crash at all however, that can't be said about Workstation 12 pro. While using other virtual machine software I don't have an issue. Workstation can take up to minutes to launch a vm and when you do get it to launch it will freeze, move extremely slow, or hang while navigating through Windows.   

0 Kudos
brianez21
Contributor
Contributor

I also experience this Problem with Windows 10 (1511) and VMware Workstation 12.1. As soon as i start a VM i get a Bluescreen on the Host saying: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Any updates on this?

0 Kudos