VMware Communities
tonysth70
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 10: No internet on guest on NAT Settings

Hi All,

I've a Lenovo W520 running Windows 7 Ultimate X64. I've VMWare Workstation 10 installed as I use it for my SharePoint Development. I've several images ranging from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2.

The problem is that almost 95% of the time, there is no internet on the guest. Sometimes it come & goes, most times none. I always use the default network "NAT".

How can I fix this issue?

31 Replies
elsdamn
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using VMWare Workstation 8 and I'm not sure about VMWare Workstation 9 and above but check to see if your VMWare NAT Service in Windows Administration Tool to see if it has started.

0 Kudos
MiErli
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem no longer occurred for a long time, but I'm going to check this option next time.

best regards, Michael

0 Kudos
jackee1234
Contributor
Contributor

I use the approach here to solve my problem:

My Technical Blog: VMWare Internet Connection Problem

0 Kudos
ittvn
Contributor
Contributor

Hey friend, you can refer to a tutorial here, it have a three way for VmWare Workstation connect Internet (Brigde, NAT and Host Only) Hướng dẫn kết nối Internet (kết nối mạng) cho máy ảo VMware Workstation - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX7BqeBGTY8

0 Kudos
BPAC_IT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just came across this old thread while searching for a solution to a similar problem.

None of my guest machines in Workstation could access the network, they couldn't even get a DHCP address and were defaulting to the 169 range.  I tried setting a static IP, removing and re-adding the NIC device in Device Manager within the guest, removing and re-adding the NIC from the guest machine hardware settings but nothing worked.

I eventually found the cause of the problem was a new "dummy" network adapter on the host called "Npcap Loopback Adapter" that had been installed as part of the NMap utility.  With this disabled on the host, all the guests network access started working again.

Not sure how or why this was interfering with Workstation as I haven't had a chance to investigate this further yet, but thought it was worth mentioning as a possible solution for anyone else with a similar problem.

0 Kudos
13numero
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ruby12,

I just logged in to thank you.  I was struggling to install .NET 4.6.2 and it was not letting me do it on a VM without internet and I was clueless.

Just tried adding NIC and .NET got installed.

Kudos to you................

0 Kudos
sujirou101
Contributor
Contributor

had the same problem with WS12. fixed it by going to Edit > Virtual Network Editor > Change Settings > Restore Defaults.

for some reasons, the recent windows update messed up the network configuration so it should just start up with a clean slate as "restore defaults" option uninstalls/reinstalls drivers and reconfigs the hypervisor's network settings accordingly. hope this helps you too.

Misayel
Contributor
Contributor

HEY I SPENT OVER A WEEK TRYING TO GET A SOLUTION  FOR THIS ISSUE.

After spending tremendous amount of research i came up with Two solutions for my issue.

1)This was explained in the bottom of the this  thread  in detail.You ned to reset your network Adapter on your Guest Machine or Machines if you have more than one Virtual Machine Running at the same time.

For example DC->Exchange2013,Windows7 etc.

Why? You Would do this -->Microsoft Systems Update tend to Modify or change VMware Network Drivers for some reason which will create this Simple but Logical issue that Microsoft known for.

Second solutions for this Will be to have Two Network Cards Running on your Virtual Machine.One will be A NAT and the other Will be  a host.

NAT dont modify ->  the internal setting for this since it is sharing your Machine internet connection with the Virtual Machine.(public)

Host only Card -> you can fully modify to connect to your other guest machines like a domain controller or another server. (private)

This successfully fixed my problem.now all my machines have Access to the internet.

As a systems Architect i understood why VMware will give you the options.because it will split the network into Two Public&Private which is easier to Troubleshoot and fix.This thread is a perfect definition of why you need to implement this Architecture in general.

Please contact me if you have any problem 

mgcAlanB
Contributor
Contributor

Since this issue was still actively commented on less than six months ago, I thought I'd chime in here with a possible solution ...

After upgrading from VMware Workstation 10 on Windows 10 to VMware Workstation Pro 14, I had this issue.  And, unfortunately, the upgrade required I first uninstall VMw10, so I lost some custom Virtual Network Editor settings.

In that, for some odd reason, the host machine's VMnet8 (NAT) network adapter was set up with a static IP address, subnet & gateway.  And though they appeared to align with the subnet of the actual VMware guest OS settings, I could not take advantage of the host's network to get out on the actual Internet; I was restricted to only those other VMs running in NAT mode.

By changing the VMnet8 adapter on the host machine to DHCP (and rebooting the system in case anything was pinched, stuck or binding), my VMs are back to behaving as they did under VMware Workstation 10, thankfully!

I hope this helps someone else who might be pulling their hair out over this 😉

0 Kudos
LordRaven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I just enabled TLS in the IE settings and the internet started working. I was able to ping websites but IE did not work. This helped me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sk_golkonda
Contributor
Contributor

Adding another virtual NIC worked. thank you

Keith_wgtn
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I had the same weird issue and addind the extra Network Adapter did the trick.

Cheers

0 Kudos