VMware Communities
tonysth70
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 10: No internet on guest on NAT Settings

Hi All,

I've a Lenovo W520 running Windows 7 Ultimate X64. I've VMWare Workstation 10 installed as I use it for my SharePoint Development. I've several images ranging from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2.

The problem is that almost 95% of the time, there is no internet on the guest. Sometimes it come & goes, most times none. I always use the default network "NAT".

How can I fix this issue?

31 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMWare Workstation 10: No internet on guest on NAT Settings

Symptoms

• The virtual machine does not have network connectivity.
  • You cannot connect to the Internet from the guest operating system.
  • Your virtual machine does not have an IP address.
  • Bridged, Host-only, or NAT networking fails.
  • After upgrading from a previous version of VMware Workstation, there is no Internet connection.
  • You see a red X over the network connection icon in the system tray.
  • Your Ethernet controller drivers are not installed.
  • When you open Internet Explorer, you see the message:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

• When you hover your mouse over the network icon in the system tray, you see one of these messages:
    • Not connected
    • No connections are available

Resolution

There can be a number of reasons why the networking might stop working in VMware Workstation. Validate each of these troubleshooting steps to verify if it is true for your environment. Each step provides instructions or a link to a document to eliminate possible causes and take corrective action as necessary. The steps are ordered in the most appropriate sequence to isolate the issue and identify the proper resolution. Do not skip a step.

After each numbered step, check whether your virtual machine has an Internet connection. There is no need to proceed with further steps once the issue is resolved.

To troubleshoot your network and Internet connection:

1. Make sure that your Host machine has a working network connection.
  2. Confirm that your virtual machine's firewall is not blocking the Internet access. For information on turning off your firewall, see:

Warning: Turning off your firewall can leave your computer open to attack. This is a troubleshooting step only. If turning off the firewall resolves the issue, consult the operating system's documentation for instructions to configure it properly so that it does not completely block this connection.

1. Confirm that your virtual machine's anti-virus program is not blocking the Internet access. Consult the Help menu of the anti-virus program or see the manufacturer's documentation for instructions on configuring it correctly.

2. Run an anti-virus scan on your virtual machine to make sure there are no viruses or other malware interfering with your Internet connection.

3. Ensure that the network adapter is enabled. Follow the steps in the Microsoft article relevant to your version of Windows:

Windows Vista: Enable or disable a network adapter
    Windows 7: Enable or disable a network adapter

Windows 8: How do I fix network adapter problems?

For Windows XP, follow these steps:
    • Click Start > Control Panel > Networking Connection.
    • Right-click Local Area Network Connection and select Enable.
  4. Change your adapter from NAT to Bridged, or vice-versa. If one selection works and the other does not, then the problem is with your network and not with Workstation or your virtual machine. For more information, see Understanding networking types in hosted products (1006480).

5. Shut down the virtual machine, then restart your Host Machine.

6. After your Host machine reboots, reopen Workstation.

7. Download and reinstall VMware Workstation. This ensures that you have the most recent version, and that any missing or corrupted virtual network settings are replaced/repaired.

8. Confirm that Workstation services are working properly.

9. Uninstall and reinstall VMware Tools. For more information, see General VMware Tools installation instructions (1014294).

10. Make sure that your network adapter is connected to the virtual machine by removing and re-adding it:

• Shut down your virtual machine.
    • In Workstation, go to VM > Settings > Network Adapter.
    • Ensure that the network adapter is connected (that is, the Connected and Connect at power on options are selected).
    • Ensure that the network adapter is configured for NAT or Bridged, and not Host Only. Make a note of your setting.
    • Click on Remove.
    • From the Settings pane, select Add > Network Adapter to re-add your network adapter.
    • Verify that your new network adapter settings match your old settings.
    • Restart your Host machine.
    • Power on your virtual machine.

11. Update the Windows network adapter in Device Manager:
    • Start the virtual machine.
    • Click Start, right-click My Computer, and click Manage.
    • Select Device Manager from the left pane.
    • Click the arrow to expand the Network Adapters section.
    • Right-click your Ethernet Controller in that list (name may vary) and click Update Driver Software.
      • Select Search automatically for updated driver software. If the driver is not automatically detected:
        • Repeat the above step and select Browse my computer for driver software.
        • Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
          • For Windows XP, select VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter.
          • For Windows Vista and 7, select Intel Pro/1000 MT Network Connection.
      • Click Close.
      • Restart Windows.

12. Uninstall and reinstall all network adapters in the Device Manager:
    • Start the virtual machine.
    • Click Start, right-click My Computer, then click Manage.
    • Select Device Manager from the left pane.
    • Click the arrow to expand the Network Adapters section.
    • Right-click the Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection (in Windows Vista and 7) or VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter (in Windows XP) device and select Uninstall.
    • In the menu bar, click Action > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Restart Windows.

13. Reset TCP/IP and Winsock settings to default:
    • To reset TCP/IP, follow the resolution steps in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 299357.
    • To reset Winsock settings, follow the resolution steps in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 811259.

If your problem continues to exist after performing the steps in this article, please file a support request:

tonysth70
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Fillips,

The resolution are ambiguous and I don't want to mess around with the network on my host machine which I know there is nothing wrong with it.

But, when I open the same image with vmware player, the internet is fine 100% of the time. Does this mean that vmware workstation is full of issues\bugs?

0 Kudos
tonysth70
Contributor
Contributor

Just an update.

For my other images that were not connecting to the internet, when I start it with vmware player, it connects to the internet and works instantly.

Then when I now start it with vmware workstation after vmware player, the internet starts working. I believe the something is blocking the network on workstation, but starting it with player clears those blockages.

I'll test it a few times and then report back

0 Kudos
ruby12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Add additional virtual NIC and check .

There is no limit to courage.
tonysth70
Contributor
Contributor

Adding an additional NIC did the trick. Thanks

Jason000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Please could you describe the steps exactly how you solve this problem ie how to add/configure an additional virtual NIC (Network Interface Card)? Do I do this in the host or the guest?

I also have the problem first posted with a Lenovo W530, Win 7 Ultimate x64 - I have tested virtual machines of OpenSUSE 12.3 and the latest Ubunto and I cannot get them to get internet access.

Sorry, I am new to VMWare and no nothing about networks.

Many Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
tonysth70
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I had to unmark Ruby12 answer as correct as it didn't solve the no internet issue.

I've added up to 6 additional NICs to the images. I get internet up to 10 to 20 minutes after I boot up the image. Then, slowly each NIC will be disconnected which takes up to 20 minutes until the internet on the image is disconnected completely.

Still looking for solution to this problem

0 Kudos
Jason000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. To add to the puzzle today I removed Workstation 10 and reinstalled Workstation 7.1 and everything works fine (I have never had the problem with Workstation 7.1). Then I removed 7.1 and installed Workstation 10 and everything worked fine. However, I was on a different network which has a dynamic IP address. I then came home and tried this on my home/business network which has a static IP address and now nothing works again.

Appreciate any help...does this mean anything do you think?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Jason000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. To add to the problem today I reinstalled WS 10 and tried again and everything worked, however, at this location I had a dynamic IP address. I tried this again at home/work and ... no internet access. At home/work I have a static IP address.

Is this related, is there something I need to change in the network settings?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

0 Kudos
RussGee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tony,

I have had the same problem and found that by manually setting the IP address on both the workstation and the client has allowed me to connect to the internet.  I need to do some further testing but it seems like the DHCP server is not issuing an IP address on the guest machine.

I hope this triggers a neural connection for someone that knows more about networking than me!

Oh and BTW, I use Bridged connections.

Message was edited by: RussGee

0 Kudos
MiErli
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have the same problem with Workstation10 - installed on a Windows-8.1 (64bit).

From 5 start is one with the network-problem. Normaly I used the Bridged connecstion. And all my guest-machines have the problem (XP-guest, Win-7-guest, Win-8.1-guest).

If I restart the Host-machine, restart the vmWare workstation and restart the guest-machine - it works fine....but the problem repeated itself very soon.

I don't know, how I could solved this problem. With the previous-vmWare-workstation, I had no problems with the network-configurations or internet-access.

Please have you a clue for thie problem?

Many thanks and best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
RussGee
Contributor
Contributor

Michael,

I found settings that work.  Have not looked into the problem further.

• in network editor create two adaptors and bridge them to your physical adaptors
    • 1 for copper
    • 1 for wi fi
  • go back to your network connections in windows.  disable the one that you are not using then take not of the actual ip settings
  • go to your guest system and make sure you have two adapters and connect them to the adaptors that you created in virtual network editor.  I used the custom connection and pointed them to the Vm net 0 (copper) VM net 1 (Wifi)
  • next disable the one you are not using. for example if you are on wifi on your host, disable the copper adapter in the guest
  • manually configure the adaptor in the guest with the same settings as the host system.  make sure that you use a different IP address.

you shoud now have a working internet connection!

regards,

Russell

0 Kudos
MiErli
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Russell

thanks for your quick reply.

I forgott to say, that I need to connect to a DHCP.

Is this also possible with your configurations-infos?

Thanks & best regards

Michael

0 Kudos
RussGee
Contributor
Contributor

Michael,

DHCP for host yes.  For guest No.

You should be able to fond a range of IP addresses that are unallocated and choose one of them.

Regards, Russell

MiErli
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

and why does it work sometimes properly, and sometimes it does not work....?

Is the problem the HOST with Windows-8.1 (64bit) ?

Thanks, Michael

0 Kudos
Dam1975
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, had the same problem and tried all you proposed solutions and nothing worked.

I found the solution to my problem, it was the internal routing priority...

I still do not know why but from one day to another, my Win7 VM was unable to reach internet. Parameters on host were all right and Internet was reachable.

I had to change the "Interface Metric" to change the routing priority. I had to go on the host network interface settings, the one that has the internet connection.

Go in TCP/IP settings --> advanced --> Interface metrics set to manual, enter "1". Leave all other intefaces to "Automatic".

That's all...

0 Kudos
RussGee
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try that thanks!

0 Kudos
MiErli
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have tried this solution also, it works fine two or three time.

But today, I have the same problem again; I started my host-machine, start the virtuell guest - and have no internet-connection and no network-connection to my other machines.

best regards, Michael

0 Kudos
MiErli
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Today I de-installed the vmwareWorkstation10 and re-installed this one.

Now I have always problems with the network-connections for my guest - no guest has an internet-connection or a connectio to my network; all guest have no correct IP-adress from my dhcp-router....?

AND my guest-operating-system (64bit win-8.1) could not be started - I get now the error: Binary translatoin is incompatible.....

now I don't even know what I should do next....o virtual machine now works

please have anyone a clue for my problem ?

thanks, michael

0 Kudos