VMware Communities
RedBaaron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation 10.0.1 on Windows 8.1 Drag and Drop not working

I am using VMWare Workstation10.0.1 on a Windows 8.1 host and a Windows Server 2008 R2 guest. Drag and Drop does not seam to work between the guest and host.   Copy and Paste does work, just not drag and drop.   Drag and Drop "Does" work with a Windows 7 guest.

I have checked and tried the following:

1. Drag and Drop is enabled under Guest Isolation.
  2. I have tried re-installing the VMWare tools and am sure that they are running.
  3. I have launched VMWare Workstation "as Administrator".
  4. I am using a simple file created in notepad.

I just bought VMWare Worksation 33 days ago, so I am 3 days out of support. Smiley Sad

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RedBaaron wrote: I have tried re-installing the VMWare tools and am sure that they are running.

Did you completely uninstall, not do a repair, and then reinstall VMware Tools?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

If its windows vm try through RDP then share with us .

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

grace27 wrote: If its windows vm try through RDP then share with us .

Seriously grace27 I wish you'd stop posting so much crap!  I assume you're sincerely trying to help however much of what you post isn't helpful and often not even applicable to the issue!  RedBaaron is having a DnD issue with one VM in particular, the other works okay...  So RDP is not the solution!  Uninstalling VMware Tools, not repairing as it rarely ever fixes an issue, then reinstalling VMware Tools is the appropriate reply to his issue! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RedBaaron wrote: I have tried re-installing the VMWare tools and am sure that they are running.

Did you completely uninstall, not do a repair, and then reinstall VMware Tools?

0 Kudos
RedBaaron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After a re-install of the VMWare tools I was able to drag and drop files in and out of the VM.   I guess a "repair" just didn't do it.

Thanks!!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I guess a "repair" just didn't do it.

While selecting Repair may work in some cases, I personally haven't ever had a repair install work and have always had to uninstall, not repair and then reinstall.  So I don't waste time anymore trying to repair and just immediately uninstall/reinstall! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos