VMware Communities
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare WS 6.0.2 . VMTools out-of-date. Unable to upgrade

Hi

Downloaded and installed VMW WS 6.0.2 rpm to attempt to fix high CPU problem

Host: Fedora 7 Kernel 2.6.21

Ran Win XP SP2 guest. Message in workstation status line says "Your version of VMWare tools is out of date"

I re-ran VMWare tools install twice on the Win XP guest. The "out of date" message is still displayed.

Guest seems to run OK (execpt for ongoing high CPU - see other posting)

Clive

0 Kudos
5 Replies
silc-vm
Contributor
Contributor

Just noticed this in the release notes and it seemed relevant: Though I'd note that the instructions are probably wrong. Since you're upgrading +from +6.0.1, you'll probably want to use Workstation 6.0.2 to install VMware Tools again.

*If you are upgrading to this release from the Workstation 6.0.1/ACE 2.0.1 beta release, upgrade

VMware Tools on Windows guests by uninstalling VMware Tools and then reinstalling.* For example, on the guest, go to Start >

Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, and remove the VMware Tools program. Next, use Workstation 6.0.1 to install VMware

Tools again.

0 Kudos
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

Hi silc-vm,

Thanks for the informaiton and the suggestion.

I uninstalled vmtools from within the Win XP guest.

I rebooted Win XP and re-ran "Install VM Tools" from VMWare workstation.

I left the machine for up to 8 hours and the guest never completed the installation of the VMTools.

Has anyone installed WS 6.0.2 VMTools from a Linux host to a WinXP guest?

Thanks

Clive

0 Kudos
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone installed VM WAS 6.0.2 VM Tools from Linux host to WinXP guest?

Thanks

Clive

0 Kudos
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone installed VM WS 6.0.2 VM Tools from Linux host to WinXP guest?

Thanks

Clive

0 Kudos
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

This problem is now fixed. Smiley Happy

Based on posts like the following >> http://communities.vmware.com/message/744024#744024

In version 6.0.0 of VM WS I just clicked "Install VM Tools" and the software was installed.

What I think is happening in VM WS 6.0.2 is that the "Install VM Tools" button is not mounting the tools iso on the virtual CD. Hence XP does not autodetect the software and try to run it.

Fix:

1. VM not powered, in WS editor assigned a new CDROM and mapped it to : Connection > Use ISO image > /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso

2. Powered up Win XP VM

3. Opened new CD created in Win XP VM

4.Ran program setup.exe from the directory (should see "VMWare Tools.msi" in this iso directory)

5. VMWare Tools installs in Win XP VM

Outcomes

1. The video driver ("2k" version) allows the Win XP guest to select a 1280 x 1024 resolution - making better use of the capabilities of the laptop's screen and a clearer image in the VM than earlier VM video drivers. Also video playback (avi file through Windows Media player) is much "smoother" / less "choppy" using the newer VMWare windows video driver.

2. Shared folders working again !! Smiley Happy This support must be delivered by VMWare Tools

Configuration

VM WS 6.0.2

Host: Fedora 7 kernel 2.6.21

Guest: Win XP SP2

Message was edited by: clive_long. Formatting

Message was edited by: clive_long. Video performance comment

0 Kudos