VMware Communities
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare WS 6.0.0 build-45731 - High CPU utilisation. Linux 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 host. Win XP SP2 and Linux FC 7 guest

Hi

I was successfully running VMWare WS 6.0.0 under a Linux Fedora 5 host with Win XP2 guest

I had to upgrade to Fedora 7 from Fedora 5 because of problems with Gnome/Nautilus not recognising a USB attached DVD writer. That Gnome problem is fixed.

Now when I start VMWare WS 6.0.0 the CPU utilisation of a 1GB 2.8Ghz :smileyalert: CPU goes to 100%!!! This situation pretty much stops applications running.

I am trying to establish a pattern. Any info that seems relevant I will add to this thread as it becomes clearer.

I have re-run vmware-config.pl several times under the latest (2.6.21) kernel.

I have just run a Linux FC7 guest under Linux FC7 host and CPU of host was around 5% when guest had started and no active applications.

I stopped and started the VMWare workstation software and now host CPU is 100% (looking at Linux System Monitor). "esd" seems to be the Linux process that is using CPU.

I'm going to reboot Linux and start Win XP2 guest first and see what happens.

Clive

0 Kudos
3 Replies
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I seem to be able to "tame" the CPU usage by stopping the "esd" process on the Linux host from within Gnome system monitor.

Gnome system monitor show "esd" as part of the Gnome "hierarchy" of processes.

Stopping esd does not seem to have any impact on the behaviour of the guest

CLive

0 Kudos
zyx100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It can be because of your USB device: note that usb emulation cost some CPU to the Workstation.I am not sure but try to take off you usb DVD writer and see what will happen. who knows maybe it will help you to identify the problem.

0 Kudos
clive_long
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the idea.

It seems strange that adding a USB device could cause CPU utilisation in the guest jump from c. 7% to 100% . Even if USB is a bit CPU heavy, that seems excessive !

If a CPU goes to 100% that suggests to me:

1. A lot of processing is going on - not applicable since few applicaitons or background processes are running

2. A lot of paging is going on - not the case here since system monitors show about 128Mbytes of 480Mbytes memory are in use

3. A CPU intensive application has started - the only apps I have come across are those that are compressing or decompressing data or processing video - neither happening in this case

4. There is an application that is looping - that seems to be the only alternative left that I can think of.

Regards

Clive

0 Kudos