VMware Communities
MarcoR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Tools install problem

I am having problems installing VMWare tools using VMWare Workstation v6 (build 45731) on Vista (Host OS)

After my guest OS (Red Hat linux ES) powers up, I select VM > Install VMWare Tools... After clicking on Confirm to start the installation, the menu option changes to 'Cancel VMWare Tools Install'. I then wait and wait and... The install doesn't appear to complete, and after 10 minutes or so I give up and cancel the install. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>Any ideas?

Yes, read the user manual. Smiley Wink

All the menu does is mount the appropriate ISO image file to the guest's CD-ROM drive. Most Windows guests have autorun enabled, so the setup launches when the CD is connected. Most other guest OS's do not, so you must manually launch the installation package, and configuration scripts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcoR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Next time I'll do a search on the forum first Smiley Happy \!!!

found this link to fix my problem: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_newguest_tools_linux.html

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>Any ideas?

Yes, read the user manual. Smiley Wink

All the menu does is mount the appropriate ISO image file to the guest's CD-ROM drive. Most Windows guests have autorun enabled, so the setup launches when the CD is connected. Most other guest OS's do not, so you must manually launch the installation package, and configuration scripts.

0 Kudos