VMware Communities
JoshKorn
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools install on Windows Server 2003 causes blue screen

I've built a Windows Server 2003 (Standard) VM on which I need to do some testing of an old product.

But attempting to install VMWare Tools on it causes the VM to crash with a blue screen of death (along with a core dump).

The only clue it gives me is "HGFS error". I guess it's gotten far enough along to try to install HGFS.

The host is VMWare Workstation Pro v12 (most current release), and the version of VMWare Tools is 11.? (I don't have it in front of me, so I don't know the exact rev).

I have a lot to install on the guest VM, so I can't really get by without HGFS.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Josh

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I tried Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (no SP and with SP1) with Workstation Pro 12.1, but was not able to reproduce the issue. Tools is installing well and HGFS works well.

Can you provide more detailed information about your Host and Guest and reproducing steps? Also can you provide logs by clicking "Help->Support->Collect Support Data" as well as core dump files? Thanks!

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think you are using Windows 2K3 32-bit without any Service Pack installed. We have an internal bug track it which is already got fixed. Thank you for reporting this issue!

0 Kudos
ReXXaRARch
Contributor
Contributor

You need install vmware tools version 10.0.12.

0 Kudos