VMware Communities
nkaufman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Tools high CPU

Hello,

On a Win 7, 32-bit guest, VM Workstation 12, after some Windows updates and a re-install of VMWare Tools, the guest seems to be running at 100% CPU continuously.

Saw that vmtoolsd.exe was running and would go up to 30% CPU.

Went to system32 and ran the following:

> lodctr /R

the above did run successfully

But issue persisted.

Opened Process Explorer and it seems that VMWare tools vmtoolsd.exe has a related process - WmiPrvSe.exe that keeps getting upto 60% of  CPU. As soon as I stop VMTools service under 'Services', WmiPrvSe.exe goes away and guest runs nicely.

Any suggestion on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried removing VMtools and re-installing?

0 Kudos
nkaufman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

many times before embarking on possible fix

0 Kudos
nkaufman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thought that more people might have faced this issue but I guess not.

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

On a Win 7, 32-bit guest, VM Workstation 12, after some Windows updates and a re-install of VMWare Tools, the guest seems to be running at 100% CPU continuously.

Ever since Microsoft went to cumulative updates for Windows 7, I've had it several times where after an update some application/service will peg to cpu for no apparent reason although I've never had it happen with VMware Tools. Looking at the application/service with SysInternals Process Explorer it always looks like one of the running threads for application/service has gone into a loop. Before I install Windows Updates I take a snapshot of the VM so I can roll back if required.

0 Kudos
nkaufman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sounds reasonable but it is too late for me  Smiley WinkSmiley Wink

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I learnt to take snapshots of Windows VMs the hard way too!

When Windows 7 installs updates it creates a System Restore Point — unless have disabled this functionality — so there is a possibility you could roll back the system to before the offending update was installed then try installing it again. If it doesn't work the second time; roll back to before the update, hide the update in Windows Update, then hope the next cumulative update works.

0 Kudos
nkaufman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That might be something to look at after I find a fix for this issue.

Right now, getting the issue resolved is my primary focus.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
pangos
Contributor
Contributor

I figure by now this is no longer an issue for you.

But just for curiosity did you try the previous version of VMWare Tools?

Google brought me here after experiencing the same and it seemed to be resolved by uninstalling, then installing the direct previous version.

Maybe it can help someone else.

Cheers

0 Kudos