VMware Communities
fpmorrison
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools 6.0.1 (55017) won't install on Linux Ubuntu 7.04 guest

After I boot my Linux Ubuntu 7.04 guest under VMWare Workstation 6.0.1 (build 55017) and log in, any attempt to install VMWare Tools seems to fail/stall at the point of mounting a virtual cd-rom drive.

A window opens with the title "cdrom0 - File Browser" with two files, VMWareTools- 6.0.1-55017.i386.rpm and VMWareTools-6.0.1-55017.tar.gz, but nothing happens. On a Windows guest, once I click on the "Install VMWare Tools" menu itme, installation of VMWare Tools happens automatically with no further intervention on my part. Is Linux just not a good as Windows when it comes to automating the installation of VMWare Tools?

In an older, probably way out of date posting, I saw something about "ejecting the cd-rom" (in case it was locked), which I tried, followed by "cancel VMWare tools install", then tried again to install the VMWare Tools, but the same "stall" situation occurred again. At least it's consistent.

What do I need to do? Keep in mind I'm brand new to Linux Ubuntu, so be as specific as possible Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

> A window opens with the title "cdrom0 - File Browser" with two files, VMWareTools- 6.0.1-55017.i386.rpm and VMWareTools-6.0.1-55017.tar.gz, but nothing happens.

The process is not automatic like it is with Windows. You need to copy the tar file to your /tmp directory and extract the contents.

cd vmware-tools-distrb

sudo ./vmware-install.pl

0 Kudos
fpmorrison
Contributor
Contributor

The command sudo ./vmware-install.pl requests a password that I do not know. I pressed Enter anyway, but am not sure if anything actually happened. I saw neither a positve nor a negative output from just pressing the Enter key after the password prompt. What should I do now?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

It's the same password you used to login into Ubuntu

0 Kudos
fpmorrison
Contributor
Contributor

OK, when I enter my logon password when prompted, it says "command not found".

Now what?

0 Kudos
tolandc
Contributor
Contributor

This is what you need to do

click on VM > install vmware tools

in your guest OS (Ubuntu) type:

$ sudo mount /dev/cdrom

$ tar -xvf /media/cdrom/VMwareTools*.tar.gz -C .

$ cd vmware-tools-distib

$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl

0 Kudos