VMware Communities
Micah71381
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Service Suggestion (Windows Host)

I just installed VMWare Workstation 6.5 on a Windows Vista x64 host and noticed that it installed a number of services on my machine that are set to auto-start with windows. If I set those services to "Manual" and stop them, launching VMWare Workstation will not start them up when it needs them.

It would be nice if I could have those services disabled by default and then launched on an as-needed bases so they don't consume resources on my machine when I'm not running VMWare Workstation (I'm not a frequent user). Even better would be if there was an option to have them run not as a service but instead as a process that is launched by VMWare Workstation when it starts and then the killed when VMWare Workstation is exited. From my limited understanding of the services installed (VMWare Authorization Service, VMWare DHCP Service, VMWare NAT Service) I gain nothing from them running when VMWare Workstation is not open.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you want - set those services to start manually.

Then write a batch of "net start *" cmds to launch those services on demand

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos