VMware Communities
Chrommy
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare + RealVNC + port mapped = Wrong keyboard config?

Hello, I have created a virtual machine and I don't seem to be able to configure it properly for remote use through VNC. Everytime I log on the VM through RealVNC, through the VMWare host port, all the keyboard functionalities are messed up. azerty turns into qwerty and every other key is different from what it's supposed to be.

-

Device hosting VMWare Workstation 6.5: "Host"

Virtual device with VMWare tools installed: "Client"

-

• When accessing the host through mstsc, I type in AZERTY and all keys are correct.

• When accessing the host through VNC, all keys are correct.

• When accessing the client through his own virtual network adress, all keys are correct.

• When accessing the client through the host's ip adress and mapped port, I type in QWERTY and no keys work.

-

Now, as to why I simply do not use option 3? The VNC connection through VMWare is simply faster.

-

I don't really understand, in my eyes it's always the same data that's being sent/recieved. What exactly causes these changes?

Thanks,

Christoffel

0 Kudos
1 Reply
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you post th .vmx file for the VM? Have you defined a specific keyboard layout for it in the .vmx? A line along the lines of:

RemoteDisplay.vnc.keymap = "uk"

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos