VMware Communities
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

I have used VMWare Player for many years while going to school and never had a problem (AMD system running Win 7 Pro 64 host, Win 7 Pro 64 guest).  I built a new machine, installed Windows 7 and started having problems with player crashing after 3 to 4 hours of use, and the only way to regain ownership is to restart the PC.  Upgraded to workstation, problem persists.  Made new virtual machine (same OS), problem persists.  Upgraded to Windows 10, problem persists.  Uninstalled and reinstalled many times, trying both old and new versions, have tried disabling graphics acceleration and a number of other things that have seemed to help others with similar issues, but none of it has solved the problem.  Hopefully I can get answers here as I have been working on this for 2 weeks now with no progress...

THE ERROR:

VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora\lib\pollDefault.c:3914

LOG: C:\Users\SirMage\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-vmplayer-6358.log

You can request support.

49 Replies
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that, I'm still experiencing the problem as well.

To reduce my pain I have put together a PowerShell Script to automate deleting .lck folders and restarting my VM. If you are doing this manually I'd be happy to share.

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure....  Seems I have to deal with it 3 or 4 times a day.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are two files, one is the PowerShell script and the other a shortcut for your desktop. You will need to change the details in both to suit your setup. To edit the shortcut right-click it and choose 'Properties' from the context menu, then alter the shortcut's Target to the location of the script file. You can edit the script file in any text editor, it needs to point your VM.

You will also need to change the PowerShell execution level to run scripts: Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

If you are wondering what the 3 lines of code in the script do:

Line 1: Deletes any directories ending with .lck from the specified folder

Line 2: Starts your VM if it is off and will re-open from the background task after vthread crash (accept the exception first)

Line 3: Closes the PowerShell window

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have tried upgrading to Workstation 12.5 and Windows 10 Aniversary Edition with no noticeable change. (Still crashing 3-4 times a day.)

Have you had any luck?

0 Kudos
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you for using VMware Workstation & Player! Software incompatibility is likely to blame. We have solved one similar issue in Re: VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vthread-8) - Workstation 12.5. If it is convenient for you, please upload the crash dump and support data for WS 12.5. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I have been uninstalling various Asus programs. I have not had a crash since my latest uninstalling:

• ROG Game First III (1.00.32)
  • Asus Sonic Suite Plugins (2.2.701)

Looking at another post I think the issue was: ROG Game First III

If you are running this please have a go at uninstalling; my VMware Workstation has been stable for a little over a week now.

WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad to know the root cause has been identified. Thank you Neverlyn for your update.

0 Kudos
rsand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are a HERO. This has been plaguing me for months!! I never expected an Asus application as the root cause but I can confirm that uninstalling ROG Game First III totally solved this problem for me.

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm glad it helped!

And thank you for confirming the problem application; it drove me nuts too. 😉

0 Kudos