VMware Communities
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

I have used VMWare Player for many years while going to school and never had a problem (AMD system running Win 7 Pro 64 host, Win 7 Pro 64 guest).  I built a new machine, installed Windows 7 and started having problems with player crashing after 3 to 4 hours of use, and the only way to regain ownership is to restart the PC.  Upgraded to workstation, problem persists.  Made new virtual machine (same OS), problem persists.  Upgraded to Windows 10, problem persists.  Uninstalled and reinstalled many times, trying both old and new versions, have tried disabling graphics acceleration and a number of other things that have seemed to help others with similar issues, but none of it has solved the problem.  Hopefully I can get answers here as I have been working on this for 2 weeks now with no progress...

THE ERROR:

VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora\lib\pollDefault.c:3914

LOG: C:\Users\SirMage\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-vmplayer-6358.log

You can request support.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I have been uninstalling various Asus programs. I have not had a crash since my latest uninstalling:

• ROG Game First III (1.00.32)
  • Asus Sonic Suite Plugins (2.2.701)

Looking at another post I think the issue was: ROG Game First III

If you are running this please have a go at uninstalling; my VMware Workstation has been stable for a little over a week now.

View solution in original post

49 Replies
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, even though I haven't gotten any response, I have not given up hope, lol.  I also have something of an update:

Last night I left VMWare running at the initial screen so I could just select the VM I needed and go, and this morning it had crashed producing a similar error and another log.  Since I didn't even have a VM running (although I do not recall if I had it selected in the menu or not), I believe this is at least diagnostically relevant.  I have also included the output from some outputs the vmware-suppport module, as well as a dump that occurred while I was sleeping as assume is relevant to the vthread-9 error I woke up to..

Again, any help is greatly appreciated..

New error:

VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-9)

NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora\lib\pollDefault.c:3914

LOG: C:\Users\SirMage\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-vmplayer-17052.log

You can request support.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We have seen this a few times in the past.  It has always been the result of some third-party program/driver that interferes with our ability to use a localhost socket.

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a list of offending software that I can look through, or a method I can use to identify it?  I have nothing installed on this build that I didn't have on my last build, with the obvious exception of the drivers that came with the motherboard and video cards.  I am running an Intel Skkylake 6700k (was beginning to think the problem might lie in the virtual threading Intel uses, since my AMD build didn't have this problem) on ASUS Maximus VIII Hero and 2 ASUS GeForce 980TI Matrix cards.  Also, in case it is relevant, I use BitDefender Total Security 2016 and MalwareBytes,  I can't think of any other software that would interfere with a localhost connection, but if there is any other information I can provide for a resolution, please let me know.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AV software may be the culprit.  Have you updated/upgraded any of your AV software since the AMD build?

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I am now using the 2016 version, whereas before I was using the 2015 version.  Do you know of something specifically I can turn off to test, or will I need to completely uninstall the product in order to find out..

Oddly enough, I went to do some yard work between my last reply and this one, and I came in to find that BitDefender had crashed.....  VMWare was not running, though, I just found it...... amusing I guess.

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another update:  I decided to go ahead and uninstall BitDefender and see if that helped the issue any.  Much to my dismay, it did not.  It crashed again while running my VM (vthread-11 again)  I have included the logs from start up to crash as well as the dump and support file in hopes they might help.

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another update, in case it might do any good...  Yesterday, the weirdest thing happened:  I made it a whole 8 hours without VMWare crashing on me, so at the end of work I shut down the VM and left VMWare running.  It lasted all night without crashing,, so I thought perhaps there had been some Window/driver/etc. update that I had just not noticed had miraculously solved my problem!  Well, if it seems to good to be true, probably is.  Today,around 2 hours in, it happened again.  Not sure why it worked for a day, no idea on the reason that it stopped, but I have noticed that I can continue to do some stuff still within the VM itself, but nothing thhat involves copying and pasting or dragging and dropping between the host and guest or vice versa.  Not sure how long I can keep working it it before there is an issue (I just finish working and restart), but it is a little more information.  Nothing that immediately points me to a problem program or driver, though.

0 Kudos
MoonDawg92
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My issue is very similar to yours, but I believe something else is causing mine.

However, I wanted to share a little workaround I found to make it slightly more bearable. I noticed you said you had to restart the PC to regain ownership. I had to do this as well until I read online that deleting the .lck files in your VM directory will let you regain ownership without having to restart your system. I've been doing this for a few months, and it definitely helps. The core problem is still there, but it's nice having a workaround that prevents me from losing work.

SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will give this a go the next time it happens as this is a much better solution than the restart, which can take 10 minutes!  Only after VMWare crashes, though, every other time it is under a minute.  I suspect that is also a sysmptom of the problem, but it still offers no real solution to keep it from happening, which is obviously preferable.

Thank for the input/tip!

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had plenty of opportunities to use this work around, and I just want to say thank you so very much!!!  Next best thing to a fix that I can imagine.

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The log and the dump show that localhost socket communication channel was broken.

Could you please try https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/981344 as the first step to analyze and resolve this problem?

BTW, have you ever encounter the same problem on other machines or on other systems on the same machine?

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded the fix, completed the registry changes, and when I went to install the fix, I was given the following error:

Window Update Standalone Installer

Installer encountered and error:  0x80096002

The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found.

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Duh....  This is a Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 fix, I am currently running Windows 10 on the host.  I will look for the same fix for Windows 10....

Or......  is this supposed to be applied on the GUEST (VM) operating system?

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

> Or......  is this supposed to be applied on the GUEST (VM) operating system?

No, it should be applied to host.

Can you disable or remove your network adapter to test if it's caused by the network adapter?

I'm going to read your uploaded files carefully to find more information.

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will have to locate an alternative card, since I work from home and basically need Internet 24/7, but I will see if I can find one Win10 compatible and get back to you on this if I can find one.

In case it matters, it is an onboard NIC on an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/specifications/

The NIC is apparently:

Intel® I219V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s), GameFirst technology

Intel® LAN- Dual interconnect between the Integrated LAN controller and Physical Layer (PHY)

Anti-surge LANGuard

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gave it a try, no luck.

Log attached, if it helps.

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your experiment! I will look into these logs to dig out more information.

0 Kudos
MoonDawg92
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad the little workaround is helping!

I was never able to get my issue resolved, so I ended up switching to VirtualBox instead. Haven't crashed since. Smiley Happy

Good luck on getting your issue sorted!

0 Kudos
SirMage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually downloaded VirtualBox and got it all set up, but it just did not work out.  I tried installing the addon stuff I needed to make it work for me, but never could.  Maybe it was just me, but I have been a fan of VMWare for years, and have recommended them to many.  The workaround is sufficient enough to be only a mild irritation at this point; very rarely do it occur at a point that I can't recover what I am doing, usually during and Oracle export from a DB across the country.

I will keep working to help try to figure it out.  It is the least I can do for a software that has been a big help to me.

0 Kudos