VMware Communities
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Performance Under Linux?

I am running into major issues with Windows 10 Professional updates now.  I cannot install the October Cumulative update at all on my host workstation.  I get a nonstop reboot loop that never ends.  My host workstation is currently on Windows 10 1909.  the 2004 update completely fails to install with no help from Microsoft to resolve.  My workstation desktop has sufficient power--

Dell Precision T7600

lntel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz (2 processors)

128GB RAM

NVIDIA QUADRO P5000 video 16GB VRAM

PERC 710P RAID10 (1GB cache)

6TB total space

This should be plenty of power to run the latest Windows 10, but I cannot get the latest installed.  I am getting fed-up with Microsoft.  I run into this same issue over and over.

What I wish to do is wipe my drives and install Ubuntu instead of Windows.  I currently run Ubuntu in a vm, and I am familiar enough with it.  It is very fast within this vm on my Windows 10 host.  I imagine it will be very fast and powerful when run as a host.  I have never used VMWare Workstation under a Linux host, and I am wondering what type of performance to expect with Windows 10 run under a virtual machine under Linux.  Windows 10 vm run under a Windows 10 host gets slow at times.  Should I expect this same behavior under Linux?  I have plenty of memory, CPU cores/threads, and tons of disk space.  I am hoping that Linux VMware will perform much better than Windows, but I have to get opinions of those who have done it.

Any comments?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Everything is working perfectly now.  The Unbuntu installation has the one bug previously mentioned that has a work-around.  Also, I initially used the delete entire drive option during installation, but this does not setup partitions properly.  You cannot even start Ubuntu after a reboot if this is used.  I had to create my own partitions under legacy boot with BIOS boot support being first on disk, a 1GB boot partition as ext4 mounted as /boot second, swap space third, then the remaining disk space mounted as /.  All of these partitions must be primary.  Once this is done, the installation then works perfectly and performs all setup properly.  All drivers for all of my hardware was automatically installed and is usable.  This includes all of my USB audio devices including my DACs.

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Last note on this--

I copied my Windows 10 guest from my Windows host install to my Linux host.  Windows 10 guest runs significantly faster under Linux than Windows.  It's very responsive and quick.  It even starts significantly faster under Linux than it does under Windows.  This was the answer I was looking for.  Linux is a superior host.

0 Kudos