VMware Communities
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Network Editor IP addresses don't match up to what's in Windows' network connections

I am using VMWare Workstation 10.0.5 build-2443746 in a Windows 7 x64 host. In VMWare network editor I see three virtual adapters:

VMnet0 - Bridged

VMnet1 - Host (subnet 192.168.190.0)

VMnet8 - NAT (subnet 192.168.18.0)

When I view those same adapters in Windows in the Network Connections area and I click on each's TCP/IPv4 properties it has addresses on different subnets for both VMnet1 and VMnet8. I don't understand this, shouldn't the subnets be the same as what is in VMWare's network editor?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's indeed strange. What you may try to do - to find out whether this is caused by a permission/UAC issue - is to start the Virtual Network Editor from the Start Menu "As Administrator" to see what happens if you edit one of the networks, or click the "Restore Default" butoon.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What addresses do you see? If you see 169.254.x.x, then there might be an issue with the installation, and/or with the VMware services (which services are installed and what's their status).

André

0 Kudos
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The addresses I see are 192.168.x.1 but x is different from the subnet in the virtual network editor.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's indeed strange. What you may try to do - to find out whether this is caused by a permission/UAC issue - is to start the Virtual Network Editor from the Start Menu "As Administrator" to see what happens if you edit one of the networks, or click the "Restore Default" butoon.

André

quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre, 'Restore Default' fixed the problem. Now in the Virtual Network Editor when an adapter shows subnet 192.168.n.0 that same adapter in Windows' Network Connections has address 192.168.n.1 with n being the same.

0 Kudos