VMware Communities
Dhiru
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare NAT Incoming Connections

I own a Dedicated Server which has Windows 2008 Webserver 64bit. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice of OS from my Datacenter, so I have to stick to it.

I am hosting a GameServer on the Dedicated machine, but some of my EXE files designed for 32 bit are not working. So, I choose VMWare to run the incompatible EXE files.

I have Installed Windows 2003 Server R2 Enterprise Edition as a Guest OS on my VMWare Workstation 6.5.1. I have used the NAT and DCHP to assign an IP address to my Guest OS. I have started the EXE files inside the Guest OS, and I have forwarded the required ports in the Virtual Network Editor on the Interface VMnet8.

I have started to experiance strange problems with the number of connections. I have noticed that the Guest OS is only accepting some roughly 100 connections. When all there are 100 connections to the Server EXE files, I am not able to make any more connections, nor any connections from the Guest are working. I am not able to access the external Webpages using Guest, which was accessible when the connections are lesser than 100.

I have been using Windows XP previously, since there were known issues about incoming connections in Windows XP, I have bought a License and Installed Windows 2003 Server, but unfortunately the problem presists.

I can confirm that the problem is not with the Operation system config or the GameServer EXE file problem. So, there should be a problem with VMWare port forwarding capabilities.

The main advantage of the VMWare build in Port forwarding is that the GameServer EXE files inside the Guest can get the Real Source IP addresses of the Incoming connections on the forwarded port, unlike some third party softwares that replace the source IP with the local IP.

I need help in this regard.. I would be very gratefull if you lend me some advice on this.

Moreover, I have found a Thread with a Similar problem, but no solution has been mentioned.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/77768

Regards,

Dhiru.

0 Kudos
0 Replies