VMware Communities
icemannd
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare GUI Workstation crashes when restoring to Snapshot or Reset from VM\power menu

Running 12.5.5 build-5234757 of VMWare Workstation, on Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.0.

Whenever I try to restore to a snapshot, or reset a VM from the VM-> Power menu in the workstation GUI, the GUI will crash.  The VM is still running and you can relaunch Workstation or reopen the VM from the System tray app without issue.  All the VMs are on one of many different local drives, doesn't matter if I have one or 6 VM's open, or what OS or configuration the client is running.

It was happening with the previous version I had, was hoping the update to the latest would fix.  Before I try an uninstall and reinstall of workstation I thought I would see if anyone else was seeing this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There have been a number of problems with hosts using Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update).

Could you go to Help > About, note of the UI log file location, reproduce the crash, and then send me the UI log?

0 Kudos
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue.  I had vmware workstation latest version on windows 10 1607 host with 1607 vms.  Upgraded host to 1703 and created new 1703 vms.  Now my vmware GUI crashes constantly on reverting snapshots and power on and off operations.  Have to delete the lock files constantly.  The vms are still running in the background.  Woulud like a fix ASAP!

0 Kudos
davidb1234
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the UI log file from right before and after my last GUI crash.  I was reverting a snapshot.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could you try again with Workstation 12.5.6?  That should correct known issues with Windows 10 build 1703.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

IGNORE ME.  One of my colleagues has informed me that I am mistaken and that this particular problem is not yet fixed.  See https://communities.vmware.com/thread/560844

0 Kudos
clausing
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this? I've been having the issue ever since I moved all my VMs to my new Windows 10 laptop (a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, not that it really matters)

0 Kudos
clausing
Contributor
Contributor

BTW, I'm up to 12.5.7  build-5813279

0 Kudos