VMware Communities
alvinoo
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi

Hi there,

I am using VMWare ESXI for the first time.

Akin to VMWare workstation.

• Is there a way to set the NAT, Bridge or Host only configuration?
  • What is the best way to upload .vmx file into ESXi
  • Current, is there a desktop user interface instead of ESXi which provide support
  • Is there a user forum?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

• Is there a way to set the NAT, Bridge or Host only configuration?
    ESXi provides virtual Switches. A VM that's connected to a virtual switch with an uplink to a physical switch works similar to "Bridged", and a VM that's connected to a virtual switch without any physical uplinks works like "Host-Only". NAT functionality is not provided, If you need this, you'll have to do this by yourself, e.g. by using a virtual router like pfSense.
  • What is the best way to upload .vmx file into ESXi
    You can basically upload all files using the Datastore Browser that's integrated in the Host Client. However, keep in mind that VM's with sparse/split disks (.vmdk files) that were created in e.g. VMware Workstation need to be converted into a supported virtual disk format.
  • Current, is there a desktop user interface instead of ESXi which provide support
    You can use the browser based user interface to manage the host, and the VMs (https://<IP-or-hostname>/ui/)
  • Is there a user forum?
    Yes there is one, https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere/esxi/content

André

alvinoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

How can: VMware Workstation need to be converted into a supported virtual disk format.

Are there other alternative to managing the VMWare ESXI?

Like PowerCLI

ESXI console

SSH

which is preferred for which situation?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How can: VMware Workstation need to be converted into a supported virtual disk format.

There are a few option available to convert the disk format. With VMware Workstation installed, you may use the export to ESXi option, otherwise you can use VMware's free Converter.

It's also possible to convert a virtual disk up front using the vmware-vdiskmanager command line utility that's installed with VMware Workstation. However, this option will require additional disk space on the source system, because it doesn't do an inline conversion, but clones the virtual disk to the desired format.

Are there other alternative to managing the VMWare ESXI?

Other than the embedded host client that I've mentioned before (preferred option), you can also use VMware Workstation to partly manage ESXi. PowerCLI, SSH, and running commands from the console is certainly possible for a lot of things like for troubleshooting, or automating tasks, but may not be the best option for daily business. Please keep in mind that tools that use the API (PowerCLI, vCLI, ...) are limited on an ESXi host witth the free Hypervisor license.

André

0 Kudos
alvinoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I managed to use the VMWare converter to import some of the VM.

However, for Windows XP, the mouse and keyboard action cannot be recognized.

What is the equivalent setting of NAT, Host only, Bridge Networking.

I am trying to ensure that one Host can ping another host from a different network.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

However, for Windows XP, the mouse and keyboard action cannot be recognized.

Does Windows XP have remote access enabled? In this case you may try to see whether you can fix this issue via an RDP console session (mstsc.exe /admin).

What is the equivalent setting of NAT, Host only, Bridge Networking.

Please take a look at my firt reply, where I explained this.

André

0 Kudos