VMware Communities
asafayan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Desktop Version 6 - Simple Question

I'm building a home lab. I've got a VMWare Desktop running version 6.

When I first opened up a VMWare host file, I was prompted as to whether I was "moving" or "copying" the file. I selected "copying" and apparently I was supposed to select "moving".

I've uinstalled VMWare Desktop (VMD) , blown away the VMD

installation directory, installed VMD into a different path and copied

the host files into different physical

locations on the new server and I no longer EVER get prompted / asked

if I'm COPYING or MOVING the new VM host files.

It's like it just

won't forget about the fact that it has opened them before.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It looks like you are running VM off a readonly media or VMWare files have readonly attribute set. If it's so then right click the folder containing your VM, click properties and unset readonly flag - and don't try to run VM located on your CD/DVD-ROM Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is your question?

0 Kudos
asafayan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've never been able to open up a VM instance (since the very first time I opened it) and have VMWare Desktop ask me if I was "copying" or "moving" the instance.

0 Kudos
asafayan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was told by my friend who is helping build the lab that I should have selected MOVE instead of COPY.

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It looks like you are running VM off a readonly media or VMWare files have readonly attribute set. If it's so then right click the folder containing your VM, click properties and unset readonly flag - and don't try to run VM located on your CD/DVD-ROM Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
asafayan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great - that was the issue. Now I can open the instanc. In my Network Configuration page of Vista, what IP addresses should I assign to the two VM Virtual adapters that have appeared?

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You shouldn't assign any IPs to them. VMWare itself handles its virtual network adapters.

Please, mark the thread as answered and my answer as correct if your issue is resolved. Thank you! Smiley Happy

And, please, start new threads/topics if you have any other questions.