VMware Communities
mgroen1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Converter: upgrade or alternative available?

Today, I converted a physical machine running Windows 10 64bit, to a VM, using VM Converter, version 6.2.0.

Conversion was OK no errors.

However, when booting the converted VM, keyboard input is not accepted. Tried everything, no result.

Is there an update of VMConverter available (its pretty old now the version I use), or is an alternative approach available? (for converting physical machine to a VM).

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The Synaptics Touchpad driver software should normally be in the list of installed programs and features.

If it is not in there then you can look in the folder where Synaptic is installed (probably under C:\Program Files ?) and see if there's an uninstaller in that folder.

If that's also not working / not there, then look in your device manager and see if the touch pad has the synaptics driver down there and if you uninstall the driver from there.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is the most updated version of vcenter Converter:

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone

After converting the physical computer to virtual, did you install the vmware-tools? If you haven't, you have to do it because it will work much better.

Converting a server or computer with vCenter converter is the best solution. The tool was created by VMware specifically for its virtual environments.

Also check that hardware compatibility is the right one.

In which virtual environment did you convert it ... Esxi version?

Install VMware-Tools (it's a good example that guides you step-by-step).

this procedure is identical for all Windows operating systems:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/28894/HOW-TO-Install-VMware-Tools-for-Windows-on-a-VMware-...

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjw0uaAoJIE

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is pretty much always because the physical machine was a laptop and had some software called Synaptic installed.

The easiest way to resolve is to run the migration again, but this time, before you run the P2V migration, uninstall Synaptic.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
mgroen1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

wila schreef:

Hi,

This is pretty much always because the physical machine was a laptop and had some software called Synaptic installed.

The easiest way to resolve is to run the migration again, but this time, before you run the P2V migration, uninstall Synaptic.

--

Wil

Hi,

that's indeed the case here.

I have a strong suspicion the laptop has Synaptic software installed. But I dont see any Synaptic in Windows Control Panel -> Installed Software

What's the best approach to remove Synaptic software?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The Synaptics Touchpad driver software should normally be in the list of installed programs and features.

If it is not in there then you can look in the folder where Synaptic is installed (probably under C:\Program Files ?) and see if there's an uninstaller in that folder.

If that's also not working / not there, then look in your device manager and see if the touch pad has the synaptics driver down there and if you uninstall the driver from there.

--

Wil

mgroen1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First, I disabled Synaptics device using Windows Control Panel -> Devicemanagement -> disable device

Then a new conversion.

Result was a good VM.

Thanks wila

awineb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem and the source of the problem was also the Synaptics Touchpad driver, but unistall with programs and features was not enough. I had to uninstall the driver with the following command on the converted vm:

rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynISDLL.dll",standAloneUninstall

After a reboot the keyboard worked.

0 Kudos