VMware Communities
DuncanF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare 6.5 - Solaris install hangs

Guys,

A copy of a thread I've started on EE but so far no solution. I have many VM's that I use but this setting up this one is proving elusive.

Thanks,

Duncan

-- cut here --

I hope you can help. I've searched EE but to no avail. I'm trying to install Solaris 10 under VMware Workstation 6.0.1. The source is a DVD burned from an ISO downloaded from Sun today (26-Sep-08). The laptop is work supplied and I have no option to upgrade to the latest VMWare Workstation. Laptop is WIFI on the LAN but with good connectivity - 3 ft. from a Cisco WLAN.

The install progresses fine but hangs (three times now) during the phase "Gathering Disk Space Requirements". I've successfully installed Unbuntu and Vista VM's on the same machine.

Hardware host details:

IBM Thinkpad T42/1.7GHz/2Gb/XP Pro SP3/80GB disc with 20 GB spare.

VM Details:

Standard VM setup

8GB pre-allocated

Bridged network

All other settings are default

Solaris details:

English

Networked

No IPv6

No Kerberos

DNS name service to local domain with local DNS server IP supplied during setup

UK/GB locale

Remote service enabled

Default install

The install progresses fine until I "accept" the license and it goes to calculate space requirements but it then hangs.

Any and all ideas gratefully received. 500 points on offer mainly because I need to sort this before Monday for work.

Thanks in advance.

Duncan

-- follow up to comments added on EE --

1) It's definitely x86 (sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso) and the MD5 checkum is correct.

2) I've now updated to Workstation 6.5

3) Deleted and re-created the VM on the laptop

Under 6.5 I can now choose to build the VM directly from the ISO. Still no joy. I've also re-burned the DVD. Again no joy. Now it hangs (direct ISO and via DVD ISO) with the message "Completing System Identification" in the Solaris Install Console. Basically hanging at an earlier stage in the install process.

Duncan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MtMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Duncan,

Increase the memory to more than 512 Meg in your virtual machine settings, then start the install again. 768 Meg worked for me. I expect you can decrease the memory later after the install completes.

I don't know why the install hangs, but the increased memory resolved the issue both times I have installed Solaris 10.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TigreDARK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi I install Solaris 10, 10 minutes ago, and I work for Sun, I'm a tech support from Italian language Smiley Wink

We don't support installation for laptops but I think I can help you (I hope!)

When you do the solaris installation,if you don't have a DNS SERVER (another server with DNS server configuration), you need to choose NONE, and not DNS.

When I install solaris, I have 1 wrong installation, on Vmware is the second time I have the same problem, I think is not completly supported...

I have this problem too. But I solve I think , beacouse I put 1024MB of memory to virtual machine (the minumum I remember is 754MB to use Windows mode, if you use less you see text mode!!).. And don't give any errors. I use .iso file (I DOWNLOAD THE DVD file .iso). I don't use the CD-ROM, I only use the file, is not needed to install it the cd... is the same, but may be more eficent use iso file when have this type of problems. (I see you try twic... but I don't know try again.

I have Ubuntu 8.4.1 with Kernel: 2.6.24-19-generic "32BITS", I hope install Solaris at 64bits, and One processor and not two.

ISO NAME: sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso

Another thing, I say you I have the same problem with hung when arrive to installation, but I remember beacouse I don't stay there for every process of installation process, beacouse when ask to click in the windows and select installation method I stay at front of laptop, and give me text mode, and not graphical mode.... but when I stay at the front of laptop on all process, don't have any problem....

If you have another problem, may be see log file of vmware (in the right side of vmware there is a log)

********************************************************************************************************************************

IF YOU PASS THE PROCESS WHERE YOU HUNG, if you have the next problem I have .....

HERE THE SOLUTION:

If you boot and say UNKNOWN HOST, and ask you unknown console login.

Put there your username and password you choose.

Then put:

1) hostname whatyouwhant

2) vi /etc/resolv.conf

there if you have domain name, delete the line (esc + dd ) (then esc + :wq! ).

I hope you solve the problem with this steps!!

0 Kudos
MtMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Duncan,

Increase the memory to more than 512 Meg in your virtual machine settings, then start the install again. 768 Meg worked for me. I expect you can decrease the memory later after the install completes.

I don't know why the install hangs, but the increased memory resolved the issue both times I have installed Solaris 10.

0 Kudos
DuncanF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spot on MtMan. The install is thundering away as as I type. Many thanks,

Duncan

0 Kudos