VMware Communities
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare 16.2.0 build-18760230 Does Not Retain State

Microsoft just forced a whacky Windows 10 update to my workstation that failed initially then worked on the second attempt.  After this update VMWare now does not retain state as it has in the past.  I do not know what is going on, but it is very annoying.  When I launch VMWare Workstation, the window position is not even restored like it used to be.  Additionally, it now launches with just a home tab, and my guest virtual machines no longer appear.  I must find and add them.  I have to do this each time I re-launch VMWare Workstation.  This is also very annoying.

I did a repair of VMWare Workstation installation, and now it is keeping the default location for virtual machines.  I set that to C:\Virtual Machines.  Prior to the repair this change also kept getting lost.  I think the failed Windows update hosed things, but I still do not know why VMWare Workstation loses window position and my guest virtual machines each restart of VMWare Workstation.  Does anyone have any ideas of a fix?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Default location for virtual machines is getting lost again even after a repair.  It now is being set to:  %HOMEPATH%\Documents\Virtual Machines

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After a few hours, I tried launching the VMWare Workstation shortcut located on my desktop to Run As Administrator, and it again launches with expected behavior with state retained.  The window position was how I set it previously, my vm location was set correctly, and my expected VMs appeared in the application without having to add them again.

I had disabled all Windows 10 updates, because they had been failing miserably on an ongoing basis.  I did make Microsoft aware of this issue, so now they have been forcing updates to me every so often then fixing the damage caused later.  This could very well have been a bad Windows update that caused the issue.

0 Kudos