VMware Communities
adza77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare 15.5 - 3D acceleration not available (Black screen)

Hi,

After updating to VMWare 15.5 and then updating VMWare tools - my machines no longer boot correctly - they boot to a black screen.

I'm greeted with the error:

The virtual machine could not be changed to the selected monitor layout.

If you just added a monitor to the host computer, you must power off and power on the virtual machine to use that monitor.

I have changed the VMX file so that it's set as:

svga.maxHeight = "1080"

svga.maxWidth = "1920"

svga.autodetect = "FALSE"

svga.vramSize = "134217728"

But still no joy.

I have tried restoring the machine, then uninstalling VMWare tools, uninstalling the video driver, and then re-installing VMWare tools and have the problem regardless.

The only workaround at this stage that I have found is to turn off Accelerate 3D graphics.

Is there a known bug at the moment with Windows 1903, and VMWare 15.5 with 3D acceleration?

Thanks

Adam.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I tried reproducing this issue in-house, but can't reproduce this blank screen issue.

If possible, could u help to enable some logging options in your vmx config file and send me the vmx log file when issue occurred?

guestInfo.svga.wddm.miniportLogging="TRUE”
guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.miniport=”10”
guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.vidpn=”10”
guestInfo.svga.wddm.usermodeLogging="TRUE”
guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.devapi=“10”
guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.service=“10”

You can upload the log file to below ftp site and send me the folder name. Thanks

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21

0 Kudos
adza77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi hahakiki2010

Thank you so much for your reply and offer to help.

I attempted to log and turn 3D back on - but now I'm unable to replicate the issue now that I've turned 3D back on. A watched pot never boils?!?

I fought with it for ages yesterday just to discover the 3D setting workaround to get me by. I don't know if booting it a few times with 3D turned off caused it to change settings, drivers, or otherwise, but now when I put 3D back on it appears to be working. Strange and bizzar.

Anyway - hopefully this helps someone else down the track if they run into the same issue. Try running with 3D turned off for a while, and then after a day or so turn 3D back on and see if this resolves the issue, and thanks for volunteering your assistance!

Best Regards

Adam.

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That's fine. Happy to hear that your problem has resolved. If still having issues, please log and send me freely. 

BTW don't forget to turn off the logging options, otherwise the log will be very large

0 Kudos
karlo84
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have the same error message.

My notebook is working in a docking station. An additional monitor is connected to this. So I work with the VM on the zusätlich connected monitor. Everything OK so far. If I do not work for a long time on the notebook, the monitor switches to standby mode.
Now comes the same mistake as adza77.

I do not get the problem solved. Also do not turn off with 3D and turn it on again.

Can someone help me please?!?

Thank you so much!

Karl from Germany

0 Kudos