VMware Communities
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare 11 / Ubuntu 14.10

I installed VMWare 11.0 this AM over Ubuntu 14.10 - My MV's freeze after about 10 minutes of operation, and control cannot be returned to the host.  Solution was to hold the power button down...  Am now removing VM 11.0 and reverting to VMWare 10.0.4

0 Kudos
18 Replies
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've managed to revert to VMWare 10.0.4 - I left the VMWare tools in the clients at the version supplied with VMWare 11 - they seem to work OK

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for your post!

Can you provide the following information?

1) Did completely uninstalling WS10.0.4 (i.e. wihout keeping config files) before installing WS 11 help?

2) kernel version of your Ubuntu 14.10 (the output of "lsb_release -a")

3) installer log when installing WS 11: /var/log/vmware-installer

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi - here's what I did:

I ran

sudo vmware-installer --uninstall-product vmware-workstation

to remove VMWare 10.0.4 - I did not remove the old configuration files

The output of lsb_release -a (and uname -a) are

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID:    Ubuntu

Description:    Ubuntu 14.10

Release:    14.10

Codename:    utopic

Linux dad 3.16.0-25-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 4 12:06:54 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The tail of the installer log is attached as a seperate file

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since this AM, I:

1. removed VMWare 11.0, removing configuration as well
  2. blacklisted kvm modules
  3. rebooted machine
  4. reinstalled VMWare 11.0
  5. rebooted
  6. Attempted to run Win8 as a guest OS.

There was no improvement - shortly after launch, my system locked up completely and I had to resort to holding the power button on the physical machine to regain control.

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have been working with VMWare Tech support - they have suggested that I disable 3D acceleration.  This seems to have helped, in that the system has not crashed (yet)

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am glad that disabling 3D helps. If you really need 3D acceleration, I might need to get graphic guys to take a look.

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It wouldn't hurt - the guest system seems a little slow without it, but I may be being a little over critical.  The workstation has behaved well for about an hour now, and I've been poking about all over.  I'm going to try to re-enable the 3D with a larger amount of video memory, just for kicks, but will probably marked this as 'solved' soon.

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm marking the post as answered, although with the caveat that having the 3D support at some point in the future would be great.  The VM's are a little sluggish by comparison, without the acceleration.  I assume that you would like to know the hardware and Ubuntu / Linux drivers I'm using:  it's pretty stock.  I may try using one of the more advanced drivers, but I'm not sure I really want to be hard-booting my machine quite so often!

sudo lshw -c video

[sudo] password for chick:

*-display              

description: VGA compatible controller

product: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 2

bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0

version: 09

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom

configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

resources: irq:47 memory:c0000000-c03fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:3000(size=64)

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Please compress and attach the installer log.  Otherwise I for one am not interested in examining it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for your willingness to help, mfelker! This turns out to be a 3D graphic issue. chickgreen has posted graphic hardware and driver.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Despite the irony you still should compress such log files.  Glad your issues is resolved.

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

K - was unsure about protocol on this site, and have seen a few very large posts here.  I've removed the text from the body of the message and placed it into an attached file.

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the efforts. I would make sure that have you installed the newest vendor's drivers (Intel)? Since distro's don't ship working 3D drivers by default.

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I may give that a shot - I have had very bad problems with the Intel graphics drivers before, although the modified Xorg drivers from Oibaf did work well.

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additional log files requested by VMWare Tech support ticket #14567534812

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If so, I would recommend you to disable 3D acceleration. We ever met the similar issue like slow response or hangs on Intel chipset graphic cards. FYI. Compile with that, Nvidia has a better Linux installer.

0 Kudos
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tracy - I have found that the modified open-source drivers available from the oibaf ppa on launchpad both run my graphics card well, and allow me to use the 3D acceleration in VMWare 11.  I do think that the intel drivers are a problem for several computer system, including mine.  I am running a laptop however, and changing to an alternate video card is not possible at this time.

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad to know that you found the workable drivers and solve the problem! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos