VMware Communities
PLCman7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare 10 Crashed When Updating Tools

VMWare told me it needed to update tools. I clicked on Update and It crashed with a message that it was unrecoverable. Is there anything I can do to recover my guest without going to a snapshot?

I lose work and time every time a guest machine crashes.

I've attached the log file and the error that I received.

Any help w/ recovery and/or how to keep my machine from crashing would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RayElectrotechi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have just fixed the problem of WS10 crashing guest on tool install/update. BUT my problem was crashing Centos6.3 linux kernel on the host; I think that your host is windows looking at the log you posted. If so I cannot be any help...

0 Kudos
PLCman7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, but how do I get help on this issue?

(Yes, my host is Windows 7)

0 Kudos
RayElectrotechi
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I after a week trying to sort the problem I decided to pay for a support call. In fact I bought 3 which last a year for more than 100 Euros. You can buy a single support call. In the event they helped me to fix the problem.

BUT, it was a bit galling having to pay since the problem was caused by a product defect! Nevertheless I needed to get on with my work so it was worth the money.

I note that, in your log file it reads ""C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Virtual Machines\RockwellWin7\RockwellWin7-000007-s001.vmdk" : failed to open (14): Disk needs repair." which doesn't sound good.

Have you tried mounting the .vmdk volume in the host and seeing if a repair is done by Windows?

Anyway, It is the blind leading the blind here since I have no clue about Windows hosts; I only use Windows for one specific task, a CAD program, otherwise I am entirely Linux, sorry. Unless somebody else responds it's either a re-install (didn't work for me) or pay up for support.

0 Kudos