VMware Communities
Vagnerinf
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE on VISTA

VMWare 6.5.2 installed on Windows Vista Ultimate perfectly. However when I try to run a virtual machine the following message appears:

VMware Workstation cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files.

And the machine does not start. My user is a member of the group administrators.

How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Workstation forum.

Where/how was this VM created?

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert

I ran into this same issue once with VMs I had stored on an external drive that I had moved from my PC to my laptop. I received the error, changed ownership of the entire drive and it's contents to my username, and still got the error. In the end, I had to right-click on the VMware Workstation shortcut, and then click on "Run as administrator". This was with 6.5.1 as well as 6.5.2.

It's no biggie to me, as I have a workaround for it that works just fine for me, so I didn't bother posting about it in the forums.

0 Kudos
Vagnerinf
Contributor
Contributor

It created a new VM on windows Vista. But another, even created in XP, work.

When run as administrator send the following message appears:

C: \ Windows \ system32 \ Dinput.dll was not created to run on windows or contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

0 Kudos