VMware Communities
innodaddy
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE conflicting with the windows 10 virtual machine platform feature

Hello guys.

It seems vmware and docker cannot run properly on the same machine. I'm using a windows 10 machine and vmware to run my gns3 images for networking and its been working fine for a while. Now I want to run prebuilt network automation containers on docker to intergrate with gns3/ vmware but then the problem is I must disable the virtual machine platform on windows 10 for  vmware to run properly otherwise it starts throwing an error that my machine doesn't support VT-x and fails to run. The moment I turn off the feature docker starts complaining and it fails to start as well . Has anyone ever encountered such a problem

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert

This is a known limitation – VMWare Workstation can use Hyper-V to run virtual machines, however Hyper-V virtualisation doesn't support nested VMs, so you have to disable "Virtualise Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI".

0 Kudos
innodaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx for the response but the main reason I am using vmware is the capability to support nested VM  so I cant do anything with this feature turned off. I have also disabled Hyper-V and  I'm using WSL 2 for docker . I am not so conversant with windows but I assume the "virtual machine platform" feature is only available on windows 10.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

WSL2 requires Hyper-V, so you can't use it on the same host as VMWare (you can use it in a VM, if you have nested virt enabled).

You can follow the instructions in KB2146361 to completely disable Hyper-V on the host.

0 Kudos