VMware Communities
pcwolf
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE boot with SATA HDD USB Adapter (Bluescreen fail)

Hello,

I follow some instructions from a YouTube video. Everything works except that I get a blue screen when windows 7 startup.

I get 2 options

• Windows startup repair
  • Windows boot normally

The first option is this screen, just the Command Prompt and the startup repair works.

615x469x26srt.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.mUeVZ5Vj0Y.jpg

But starting with the second option, windows boot normally. The Windows 7 loading screen is showing but after some seconds i get a blue screen then windows starting the same as before with these 2 options again.

Now, i know why these problems showing up. Because the drivers, the old motherboard...etc. But i in the most videos, it works :smileyconfused:

Is there an option to fix this? I really need this because i buy an new laptop. The old laptop, video card has gone... Well, you can said, i can put just the old HDD with the adapter into an USB port from the new laptop and lets copy... But its over 400GB :smileyalert::smileyalert:

Naamloos.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Youtube videos are often created by folks that do not completely understood the problem.
But they found an easy way so that pürocedure XY accidentaly worked for them.
Often this makes them thing that they should tell everybody about their clever research.A responsibe guy would know that he adds : it will not work when conditions X are met, it will not work with Y and so on.
Thats a lot of work - the youtube video will not end with a great victory after 3 minutes .... so it does not get  famous soon ... and it probably never gets created.
In this case ....
Windows 7 is not prepared to easily switch from bootdevice fixed disk to anything flagged as removable.
Registry hacking is necessary to make the system to survive that change.
So if you have an old SATA disk from last laptop do not attach it to a VM as USB+device.
Instead attach it as a "raw disk"
The action to do is:
create new disk - type "physical disk" for advanced users, assign the complete USB-devices that uses your SATA2USB enclosure.
Before you try to start such a VM with a rawdisk, you either need to patch the LSI-SAS driver in the Windows registry so that it active at boot.
Or use the converter-feature "configure VM"
When the patching has been done make sure that during normal use the USB-device has no driveletter in the host Windows
Make sure you start the VM as admin - and eventually even need to set the disk to status "offline" in diskmanagement.in

Honestly - this actually is a pain - it worked so nice upto host OS Windows 2003 - but gets harder and more tricky with every new Windows version.

I would recommend to use it only temporary and then convert the physical disk into a regular virtual one.
'That can be done with vmware-vdiskmanager.exe
Please give us a link for the video - maybe I am unfair - and should see it before I complain.
But it sure is over simplified

0 Kudos