VMware Communities
erleed
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Workstation (16.2.2) does not support virtualized performance counters...

Hello All,

I thought this was fixed, but I'm getting the error: VMware Workstation does not support virtualized performance counters on this host.  Refer to VMware KB...

How do I fix this?  I have Hyper-V / Virtualization Platform /  Sandbox turned off.  I tried Virt. Platform on, and it didn't work.  It was the same issue.

I'm running Windows 10, and Workstation 16.2.2
Processor: Xeon W-11955M and all virtualization features are turned on in UEFI.

See this post with images of the error and configurations I'm seeing.
https://imgur.com/a/IsCwXZF

0 Kudos
16 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Looks like Hyper-V is still running (even while it might be disabled in the UI), have a look at:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Failed-to-power-on-virtual-machine-This-hos...

where @bluefirestorm gives all the details you need to know for addressing this.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
erleed
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the tip wila.  Unfortunately, my computer doesn't have the hypervisorlaunchtype entry in bcdedit.

0 Kudos
erleed
Contributor
Contributor

I am also still getting the error.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@erleed wrote:

Thank you for the tip wila.  Unfortunately, my computer doesn't have the hypervisorlaunchtype entry in bcdedit.

There's quite a few more steps than that....

To quote:

Follow the steps in this KB
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

Also make sure that Memory Integrity is OFF
Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation details

If your Windows host is a member of an AD domain, items such as Memory Integrity/VBS can also be enforced via domain policy. If that is the case you need to contact your domain admin.

When Hyper-V is detected, you will see these lines in the vmware.log

<timestamp> In(05) vmx IOPL_Init: Hyper-V detected by CPUID
<timestamp> In(05) vmx Monitor Mode: ULM

Once Hyper-V is no longer detected, vmware.log Monitor Mode should show as CPL0, and nested virtualisation should work (with the Virtualize Intel VT-x in the VM processor settings enabled).

If it still doesn't work, then please attach a recent vmware.log file to your reply here.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
erleed
Contributor
Contributor

I did follow those instructions, except looking at the vmware.log; I think this is only for ESXi.

Turns out that I have to disable performance counters then it works fine!  I don't understand why this isn't documented or well defined.

What about my config makes it that I have to disable Virtualize Performance counters?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

We're not talking about ESXi and you didn't attach your vmware.log file ... so can't answer your question.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

It is documented as per the KB in the error dialog.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81623

wila
Immortal
Immortal

@bluefirestorm wrote:

It is documented as per the KB in the error dialog.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81623

Which can be confirmed by looking at the vmware.log file to see if Hyper-V is turned off or not.

My guess is that it isn't, which is the main reason why I asked for the log.
--
Wil

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

wila

My reply about the KB in the error dialog was to OP's statement

"Turns out that I have to disable performance counters then it works fine! I don't understand why this isn't documented or well defined."

Whether for virtualized VT-x/EPT or vPMC setting, with Hyper-V detected/enabled on Windows host, either or both enabled won't work. Considering that OP had to untick the vPMC setting likely means Hyper-V is still detected (which can be confirmed by the vmware.log, which is not provided).

My two cents, a lot of these Hyper-V on Windows hosts has created a lot of posts, and it also shows a lot of people would enable virtualized VT-x/EPT and/or vPMCs when they don't really need it all.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi bluefirestorm,

Yes I understood your reply was to the topic starter.

Agreed on all points.

I just wish that Microsoft didn't make it so difficult to disable Hyper-V.
It really makes no sense that it keeps running when you uncheck the Hyper-V option, that's not transparent at all.
All other options that depends on Hyper-V shouldn't be enabled anymore once you uncheck it, but sadly that's not how it works.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
erleed
Contributor
Contributor

My thoughts exactly @wila.

Regarding the vmware.log.  I cannot find this, I found an article showing how to get logs for different products and vmware log did not come up in the methods I tried.

I even ran the vbs file manually and there was no vmware.log file generated.  Can you point me to where it is located?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

@erleed wrote:

My thoughts exactly @wila.

Regarding the vmware.log.  I cannot find this, I found an article showing how to get logs for different products and vmware log did not come up in the methods I tried.

I even ran the vbs file manually and there was no vmware.log file generated.  Can you point me to where it is located?

My apologies, sometimes I forget not everyone knows where to find these log files.
The vmware.log file(s) are generated in the same folder as where all the files of your virtual machine are. They are kept along with your VM.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

FWIW, are you even using performance counters in your VM?
Because if you're not then you can simply uncheck the checkbox in the VM's configuration.
Btw, if you are unsure if you need them... then you don't need them as it is a very specific use case.

wila_0-1644066639966.png

To sum it up from the picture above.

- Don't check Intel VT-x/EPT ... unless you are actually trying to run a VM in a VM...
- Don't check CPU performance counters ... unless you are in need to profile your VM for performance bottlenecks in specific software
- Don't check virtualize IOMMU .. unless you need VBS to be enabled.

More details here:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-3140DF1F-A105-4E...

Lots of people seem to think that having the above checked helps to speed things up (hint: it doesn't)

--
Wil

0 Kudos
Davide3i
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I'm having this same issue.

I followed what is written in KB2146361, but that doesn't solve my issue. I'm running Windows 11 and this issue was not there before updating to the latest release of VMware Workstation (16.2.2). Moreover I cannot disable Intel VT-e/EPT because it's greyed out; TPM is enabled on this VM.

Those are the log files generated using vm-support.vbs and the requested vmware.log file.

0 Kudos
Tony_Stark_03
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this would help anyone anymore, but I faced this same issue today, tried all the suggestions I found online and I'll tell you what worked for me.

Go to Control Panel --> Programs --> Turn windows features on or off --> Disable Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervision Platform. Restart the computer

0 Kudos
jaffacookies
Contributor
Contributor

"Memory Integrity is OFF" resolved the issue for me.

Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation details

0 Kudos