VMware Communities
RogerPS
Contributor
Contributor

VMW Workstation cannot deal with dual core cpus (?)

I love the product, for sure. But I cannot purchase Workstation if the virtual instances of any operating system cannot keep time.

What I mean is, the clock on the deployed OS runs sporatically.

There is a warning when I start, and I read the KB entry.

From what I could tell, there was alot of random suggestion and even the words like "it should work" - this does not inspire confidence.

Can I know if there is a patch which will make this problem go away forever? Everything else works great.

Roger

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DCieslinski
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have any issues with multi cores. I have it running at home on a AMD X2 4400+ and at work on a Dual-Quad core INTEL box (Dell). What host and guest os are you running?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You may want to tell us what exact version of VMware Workstation you are using and what is the host & guest OS.

If you have a properly configured system, the product will work on a multi-processor system.

0 Kudos
RogerPS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thanks for responding.

After more looking I found someone with the same architecture as I do, X64 dual core (I don't see why pendium core 2 duo would not have the problem as well).

One solution is to install the optimizer for this architecture, but that is intended for gaming uses.

So I will attempt to manually configure the VMX files to use only one of the processors, and hopefully performance will not die (I am thinking it will not).

Anyway, it still works way better than virtual pc from MS, even if that is free.

I assume after my trial expires I can still use the vmx's that I created? I.e. the functionality I am paying for (really) is the ability to make checkpoints and keep everything under one hood, right? Is one of the other offerings for deploying VPC's remotely to any physical server on your LAN and keeping track of them all? Is that what ACE is? I'm a smart guy, but when information is not laid out like a block diagram, I have trouble getting things... sorry for my ignorance.

Aaron

0 Kudos