VMware Communities
JohnLeibacher
Contributor
Contributor

VMTools is absent on the CDROM

I updated to W/S 7.1.6 on my 64-bit AMT Windoze 7 Home desktop and installed Kubuntu 12.04, but when I went to the CDROM to install VMTools the cupboard was bare ;-(   The directory was there on the CDROM, but nothing in it.   With having to figure out about disabling EasyInstall it was a bit of a hassle, so I'd like not to have to start from scratch.   The closest that I could find after hours of googling was

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/latest/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/index.html

Suggestions???

Hoping that this is the right forum,

thanks in advance

John Leibacher

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you downloaded and installed VMware Workstation 7.1.6 from the VMware-workstation-7.1.6-744570.exe installer and not the VMware-workstation-full-7.1.6-744570.exe installer then VMware Tools will need to be downloaded by VMware Workstation.  If you downloaded the full installer then the VMware Tools ISO Images are already in the VMware Workstation Working Directory and can be manually attached to the Virtual Machine's CD/DVD via its Settings if need be because it's not happing automatically as it should.

Verify whether or not the linux.iso image file exists in the VMware Workstation Working Directory.  (The "Working Directory" is the directory that VMware Player is installed to.) If it does then assign it manually to the CD/DVD if you have to.

If it doesn't exist then you can download the following file, untar it and then execute the .exe.  It will silently install the linux.iso image file to the VMware Workstation Working Directory.

This is the VMware Tools for Linux under a VMware Workstation 7.1.6 Windows Host: tools-linux-8.4.9.exe.tar

0 Kudos
JohnLeibacher
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks!   I think that we are close, but not quite there yet.

The install was from VMware-workstation-full-7.1.6-744570.exe, BUT it hung MANY times at "building VMTools" and I followed a suggestion that I found online to stop the machine and remove the autoinst.iso and autoinst.flp from the machine and continue the install, which seems to have worked fine except for this problem...  The files are still there, I just disconnected them from the VM during the install.

The tools do not appear in the host working directory, that is where this machine's .vmx, .vmkd, .lck etc... live.

I downloaded and ran tools-linux-8.4.9.exe.   The first time I got an error message that it might not have installed correctly, but running subsequently it terminated without error, but without visible result.  That said, I don't see something like vmtools.iso in the old 7.1.5 working directory either, so maybe I am looking for the wrong thing.

On the c:\Program Files (x86)\ VMWare\VMWare Workstation directory I don't see anything either.  Under the sub-directory vmware-tools there is an upgrader.exe, which doesn't seem do anything.

I really do appreciate the help!!

John Leibacher

0 Kudos
JohnLeibacher
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks!  Problem solved.

In fact, c:\Program Files (x86)\ VMWare\VMWare Workstation now does contain linux.iso [I could swear that it was not there earlier...].    I pointed the VM's CD to it, but "ls" still didn't show anything.   Accessing it with dolphin (the Ubuntu filemanager) did show the file, and the usual tools install seems to have worked fine.

I really do appreciate your help in sorting through all of this!!

John Leibacher

0 Kudos