VMware Communities
jking0826
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK file issue

Hello everyone,

I'm using VMWare Workstation 16.2.1, and have a Windows 10 VM created.  I typically copy the entire VM folder to a external SSD as a backup.  I'm finding I cannot copy the VMDK file any longer.  I get a message that it cannot be accessed, even though it is clearly in the folder.  The VM does start properly and I can run applications.  I thus copied all the data I need to a newly created Win 11 VM.  However, I would like to see if the original can be "fixed" to eliminate the error message.

Here are the symptoms:

• Can't copy the VMDK file
  • Can't clone the original VM
  • Can't open the VM and create an image of the OS

Each of these actions eventually causes the error message to appear saying cannot access the VMDK file.  I have attached an image of the files in the folder and the most recent log file.

Thanks,

Jeff King

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Retry on read "I:\!Misc Virtual Machines\Clone of Clarion Development 10\Clarion Development 10-cl1.vmdk" : Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

From what I understand from the above log entry, the issue is caused by a logical (or physical) error on the "I:" drive.
Since you already backed up your data, you may want to run e.g. the chkdsk command line utility to verify, and fix any errors.

André

0 Kudos
jking0826
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

The backups I made are to newly created VM's on the same I: drive, which is an SSD.  Will running chkdsk on the I: drive create any problems?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on the issues it finds, and whether/how they can be fixed.
You can however run chkdsk without the the "/f" (fix) option to find out about possible issues.

André

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@jking0826 wrote:

Hi Andre,

The backups I made are to newly created VM's on the same I: drive, which is an SSD.  Will running chkdsk on the I: drive create any problems?

Thanks,

Jeff

You should really start by copying your backups to an external disk.
Backups made to the same disk don't help when the disk dies.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos