I am a student who is prepping for my OSCP exam and I have been working on a Kali Virtual Machine for the past couple of years.
I have saved extensive notes and customized tools on the Virtual Machine and I was about to take the exam too.
But the trouble started when I restored a snapshot of the Virtual Machine. I started getting missing .vmdk file errrors. So I followed the advice in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi3mFb7EwwA where they show to copy one of the vmdk file rename it to the missing one and it will work. I did the same and it worked for me.
I had to restore my snapshot again and I followed the same method when I got the error but this time it did not fix it. I panicked and I tried to restore the snapshot from even earlier versions and still it did no fix it. Right now I am getting the following error.
The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child Cannot open the disk 'C:\Users\dvdjo\VMware VMs\Kali-Linux-2020.4-vmware-amd64.vmwarevm\Kali-Linux-2020.4-vmware-amd64-000014.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Module 'Disk' power on failed. Failed to start the virtual machine.
I am not very familiar with how VMware filesystem works and I do not have enough knowledge to fix the issue. Please if any experts can offer me a course of action that would fix the problem. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
I read about other people having similar issues on this forum, example https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Deleted-vmdk-files/m-p/2886154 , so I proactively added the following files
1. ran the Get-VmdkHeader2.cmd and added the zipped file
2. vmware.log file
3. List of files in the 'C:\Users\dvdjo\VMware VMs\Kali-Linux-2020.4-vmware-amd64.vmwarevm' directory.
Wow, what a mess !!! I usually don't finger point, but in this case I tend to blame the "Autoprotect" feature, which other users rather called "Autodestruct". Please remember that snapshots do NOT replace backups!
With the broken chain, and all the useless snapshots, I can't promise you anything. Anyway, let us go for it.
Here's the plan:
If the VM powers on, and looks as expected, then compress/zip its .vmx, .vmsd, and the renamed, .vmsd.txt, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply. I can then check whether it is possible to modify the .vmsd, so that all the current snapshots will show up in the Snapshot Manager again.