VMware Communities
rawbear
Contributor
Contributor

VMAUTHDSERVICE not running after upgrade

I have just upgraded from VMWare Workstation 6.03 to 6.5 and VMAuthdService will not start, even with manual intervention. I get "error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly". The old version had no problems. Nothing else has changed on this computer.

I can still start VMWare if I do it as "Administrator" but of course some features are disabled because of the service refusing to start. The Services log doesn't give additional details.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> The Services log doesn't give additional details.

Which is no excuse for YOU not giving any additional details... Smiley Wink

Host versions, hardware, etc... The usual.

0 Kudos
rawbear
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. New to this.

HP desktop with quad core intel CPU. Running Vista SP1 as host. Guest OS is XP SP3 and Ubuntu. Plenty of RAM and Hard Disk space. I recovered from a System Restore point to before the initial install of 6.5 and re-installed 6.5 again. No success. DHCP and NAT services are running ok.

I tried totally de-installing/cleaning the Registry and re-installing and it still doesn't work.

I also tried VMWare Player, which also relies on VMAuthdService. No success.

I end up with errors reported in the logs (this from file vmware-vix-...):

Sep 28 17:49:41.842: app| CnxAuthdConnectPipe: Returning false because CreateFileW failed, error: 2

Sep 28 17:49:41.842: app| CnxAuthdConnect: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnectPipe failed

Sep 28 17:49:41.842: app| CnxConnectAuthd: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnect failed

Sep 28 17:49:41.842: app| Cnx_Connect: Returning false because CnxConnectAuthd failed

Sep 28 17:49:41.842: app| Cnx_Connect: Error message: Could not connect to pipe
.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe: The system cannot find the file specified

Sep 28 17:49:41.843: app| VixVM_FinalRelease: Close VM socket.

0 Kudos