VMware Communities
KenMadsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM will not power off after host was changed to Win 7 64

I have a development VM that I keep on a USB drive.  I have used it for a very long time on my Win XP Pro SP3 laptop (where workstation is installed, not the VM files) and it powers off normally (using Shutdown from the start menu in the guest).  I got a new laptop that runs Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1.  I installed Workstation and plugged the same USB drive.  Now, at the normal point in the guest shutdown where the blank blue screen disappears and the powered off VM page is shown is replaced by a black screen that sometimes does not go away at all.  Sometimes after 10-30 minutes I have to resort to killing the vmware workstation process to be able to close down workstation.

The guest seems to be fine when restarting, but this power off black screen problem keeps happening.  The guest is Win XP Pro SP3.

I have searched, but I only find very old versions of workstation or fusion, so no solutions or workarounds have been located.

I updated today from 7.1.4 to 7.1.5 hoping for some improvement, but it hasn't really changed.

One of my colleagues has experienced the same behavior when he got his new Win 7 laptop.

If there a solutions or fixes, please let me know.  If there are log files that would identify what it is doing after the screen goes blank, help me find them and I can post the messages.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can collect support data from WS (Help -> Support -> Collect support data) that will gather all the relevant log files. Or you can run the vm-support.vbs script manually to gather the same data. The product help will guide you on how to run the support script manually.

KenMadsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, here is the support collection file

0 Kudos