VMware Communities
john234afac
Contributor
Contributor

VM ware workstation 9 cannot run on Windows 7

Hi,
I am trying to power on VM using Vmware workstation 9 and I get the error message:

"Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings.

To fix this problem, decrease the memory size of this virtual machine to 2532 MB, or adjust the additional memory settings to allow more virtual machine memory to be swapped.

If you were able to power on this virtual machine on this host computer in the past, try rebooting the host computer. Rebooting may allow you to use slightly more host memory to run virtual machines".
I tried changing the settings to fit all memory in reserved ram but I still get the same error and changing to the 3d setting causes my pc to run very slowly, please suggest any solutions to this issue

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How much RAM do you have on your host? If you have only 4GB it is very difficult to work with virtualisation, especially if the guests are RAM-hungry. The memory you reserve for the guest is not shared with the host, it's dedicated to the guest and the host can't use it. If now the host or the guest are beginning to use swap, things are going to slow down significantly on a HDD, and if you are using an SSD, you will induce a lot of wear to it, reducing its health. Therefore I'd suggest you invest for more RAM on your PC, if this is possible.

Using an older version of VMware as the v9 that you are using instead of the current version 15.2 to my experience does not reduce the memory requirements significantly.

0 Kudos