VMware Communities
patriotzhou
Contributor
Contributor

VM stuck at starting screen when restart caused host OS slow

Hi Guys, I just bought a new laptop ASUS G53S and I installed the vmware workstation 8.0.0. At first I boot up a Windows VM is working fine, the problem happened when restart the VM, it stuck at the BIOS sceen with progress bar showing starting. After a while the host OS started not responding. Need to restart or force reboot.

I upgraded the vmware workstation to 8.0.2 but problem permission.

I tried to rebuild a new Windows VM but still have the same issue. Same VM on my PC don't have problem.

Any idea with be great.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
webspaul
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem (see my post a day ago). You have a different brand computer but there are some similarities. When I look up the specs on your computer it has the same chipset as mine. I wonder if you also have the same CPU, i7-2630QM, I see it is an option on yours. I haven't heard from anyone yet on my post.

0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Similar case. After doing an OS update, this is the problem I get. If I restore my system to the earliest state, will it change anything? Best to do it later if I won't find any solution.

0 Kudos
patriotzhou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I did a fresh installation also same issue. Not sure why. Although it didn't happen always.

THank you.

0 Kudos
adelisa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi patriotzhou,

Welcome to the community .It seems hardware compatibility .

could you please inststall 7.0 version for testing ?

" Affirmation without discipline is the beginning of delusion."
0 Kudos
patriotzhou
Contributor
Contributor

All my VMs are version 8 now. need to convert to lower version if downgrade. I don't have any issue on another machine.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
webspaul
Contributor
Contributor

patriotzhou,

The problem on my computer seems to be fixed by downgrading to WS7. I've only done one VM so far though and haven't done extensive testing. But while running WS7 I have rebooted the one VM about 5 times without my host freezing and I couldn't even do it once under WS8. You must downgrade the hardware for all VMs while running WS8 other wise you will have to reinstall WS8 to downgrade additional VMs and then reinstall WS7 like I did.

Paul

0 Kudos
patriotzhou
Contributor
Contributor

many thanks guys. The other Asus G53s(which using  another i7 cpu) doesn't have this issue.

anyway I will try out the VM7 on my latop.

0 Kudos