VMware Communities
fahadkh
Contributor
Contributor

VM shutdown after inactivity period

Hi There,

I have Kali Linux image, lately the image start shutting down after inactivity period for example 40 minutes. in this period I will be away from the Host PC and lock it with ctrl+alt+del.

after returning from the break I will find the Kali guest is powered off ! I checked the power management and made sure everything is correct also did a full upgrade for the distrubtion but no luck, in the same time there is another linux VM that is running fine without issues. as last haven I created a new fresh image of Kali Linux and the problem still exists!!

I will attach the log of the vm:

Regards,

moderator edit by wila: Moved the copy&paste log into an attachment

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please do not paste vmware.logs like this.

It makes  your post way harder to read.

Use the attach function instead.

The VM was just busy for 2 minutes so it is useless for troubleshooting anyway.

Check if Kali has a energy management config that powers it off after x minutes.

0 Kudos
fahadkh
Contributor
Contributor

back again,

I figured it out after reading the log and trials ! turn out that when I ctrl+alt+del the windows host for locking, the signal is also passed to the linux image ! both host and guest receive the command.

in newer version of Kali ( gnome ) the ctrl+alt+del will ask for confirmation for shutdown/restart otherwise will shut down in 60 secs. other old linux distributions don't.

I toughed the ctrl+alt+del only received by the host since I am doing it outside the guest. Now I change the shortcut key inside the Kali linux and everything is fine.

Regards,

Fahad.

0 Kudos