VMware Communities
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM services (shares, iis/apache pages) takes forever to 'warm up' after inactivity for awhile

I thought this might have been a VirtualBox thing so I switched to VMware because of this. Apparently I'm running into the same thing. For example, when I wake up in the morning and try to go to my Sharepoint site on my VM (Server 2008), it takes literally 10-15 seconds to load the web page. After that, it works just fine.

I basically need to find out why is it doing this and is there a way I can keep the performance quick on response instead of timing out or something? Not quite sure what's going on.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I do not necessarily see this as a VMware issue or VirtualBox for that matter!

If you want things to always be responsive then set the Power Settings on the Host and in the Guest accordingly.

In other words do not allow anything to hibernate, sleep, suspend, turn off, etc. and set everything to always be on, otherwise latencies are to be expected!

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well that's the thing. The power settings are set to High Performance and nothing is set to turn off, hibernate, sleep, or anything. According to the power settings of the guest and the host OS, it shouldn't be doing that. It has to be something else?

0 Kudos
mbeierl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What guest OS are you using?  Is it possible that the VMs are being pushed out to swap by activity in the host?  I know Windows hosts can be problematic as they do things like run file system indexers or virus scans during idle times and this can cause the Windows OS to push idle VMs into swap by favouring disk cache over idle programs.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

check the "Disable memory page trimming" option box for each of your Guests.   It is under Virtual Machine Settings -> Options -> Advanced .

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help. I was able to solve this by changing a idle/time out setting in IIS Manager.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771956(WS.10).aspx

0 Kudos