VMware Communities
Darkwoof
Contributor
Contributor

VM of converted physical machine on same PC (i.e. host = guest)

Hi, I'm using Workstation 6.5.3 and just used the "convert physical machine" feature to convert the Windows 7 box it was running on ("this local machine" option) into a virtual machine. I then tried to power on the created virtual machine on the same host and it failed to boot. Is this meant to be not possible in the first place (e.g. virtual machines have to be run on other host computers and not on the one it is created from), or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

this should be possible - just do not know if there is any version of Converter that can handle win7

what went wrong ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Darkwoof
Contributor
Contributor

When I power up the VM, I'm shown the Windows Error Recovery which gives me two options:

• Launch Startup Repair (recommended)

• Start Windows Normally

If I choose the former, I go to a Windows Boot Manager screen which says windows is unable to start up and provides the following codes:

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is unavailable.

If I choose the latter, the system would just reboot and go through the same cycle again.

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--If you have an ISO for Win7, I would recommend re-running the install inside the VM to get everything sorted out. I was able to convert an XP physical -> Virtual this way before Vmware Converter came out.

[[

Test P2V of SATA XP

o Multiprocessor to single-cpu

o SATA to Buslogic SCSI

o 2GB RAM to 384MB RAM

o USB 2 to USB 1 # This is from WS 5 days Smiley Wink

o SP2 to Install-cd with SP1

]]

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

I guess your BCD contains a disk signature mismatch. Manually create a new entry for the "Windows Boot Loader" and set it as default. You will have to do this from a bootcd.

Joakim

0 Kudos