VMware Communities
Faize
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM internet access when host is connecting via a mobile hotspot?

It seems none of the networking options in Workstation will pass a cellphone's wifi hotspot-based internet connection through to a VM...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Faize,

It's possible for VM to use host's Wifi connection when the host is connected to a Wifi.

Please try the steps below:

1. You may set the VM network to bridge mode. (click VM -> Settings -> Choose network adapter -> set connection to bridged)

2. Open the virtual network editor via Edit -> Virtual Network Editor, choose VMnet0, change the "Bridge to" dropdown list to your Wifi card.

Then VM should be able to use the host's Wifi network.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Faize
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This unfortunately did not work - I tried with both an iPhone 6 Plus and a Galaxy S6, and in both cases, the phone did not see (or perhaps did not permit?) the VM as a device connected to the hotspot. Needless to say, there was no internet access from within the guest either.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Contributor
Contributor

Did you manage to find a workaround using VMware's bridged adapter? I also have a similar problem. Seems like only bridged when connected to a wireless AP/router works. Is it because of the VMware product? Am using VMware Workstation 15.5. Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If you want wireless access to a phone hotspot get a USB-wifi adapter and connect it as a USB-device.

0 Kudos